How does the Unit Converter work?

Ask how to do things or if a certain feature is available in the program.
rovf

How does the Unit Converter work?

Post by rovf » 17 Mar 2017 09:44

I would like to use the built-in Unit Converter, but I don't see how to operate it. It is also not explained in the online help. How can I actually enter a number to convert? There is no input field for this.

See attached screenshot.
Attachments
capture_20170317_093402.jpg
capture_20170317_093402.jpg (15.81 KiB) Viewed 1293 times

pjj

Re: How does the Unit Converter work?

Post by pjj » 17 Mar 2017 10:08

Yeah, this is tricky :(

After having opened Unit converter and picked appropriate unit set, e.g. Time, you click once on a 0 at this particular unit, which will be your "base", e.g. h (hour). After approx. a second input box should appear, so you will be able to write down your value there, e.g. 1 -- and click elsewhere, so all other units will show adequate values, i.e. 3,6E12 ns, 3,6E9 µs, 3600000 ms etc. etc. Double click on any of them (or single click and then click on "Insert" button) will insert them into the current document.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus

rovf

Re: How does the Unit Converter work?

Post by rovf » 20 Mar 2017 11:33

[quote="pjj"]Yeah, this is tricky :(

After having opened Unit converter and picked appropriate unit set, e.g. Time, you click once on a 0 at this particular unit, which will be your "base", e.g. h (hour). After approx. a second input box should appear, so you will be able to write down your value there[/quote]

Actually no. After clicking once, nothing happens. But your description gave me an idea, how it could happen, and here it is:

(1) Click once on 0 (as you said). This will have no reaction, no matter how long you wait.

(2) Click on the 0 a second time (make sure that you wait long enough so that your clicking is not interpreted as double-click)

(3) Wait a second (as you said)

(4) Now the 0 turns into an input box in which you can input your figure.

So the crucial point is (2) above - a second click is necessary.