[12.00b2] Image list editor

Post bug reports when testing beta versions here.
pjj

[12.00b2] Image list editor

Post by pjj »

So, I'm playing with icons, adding back Fugue icons. Here's a couple of observations:

1) Add, Insert, Delete, Move Up and Move Down buttons seemed unnecessary at first; then I noticed you've added a handful of additional icons at the end of the list; well, these buttons are still confusing, especially if you accidentally hit Insert instead of Replace -- icons in the toolbar are shifted then and there's no easy way to revert

1a) perhaps toolbars icons could be only replaced, and only additional icons could be added, removed etc.?

1b) even if not, shifting icons up/down should trigger "save" button, i.e. make it active

2) adding icons in random order soon leads to chaos, when you don't know which icons are new and which are still old; perhaps replaced icons could be somehow marked as such?

3) Image 1, Image 2 -- not exactly the most usable naming scheme; plus, it is not future proof (see below)

4) some icons are markedly missing, e.g. for Project > Configuration > [window] which uses different icon (tools instead of two cogs); btw. this window should be named "Project Configuration" like menu entry (or vice versa); icons for forms in Options (prev/next, tick, arrow down, magnifier) are also missing -- I think their new versions were introduced in the previous beta

5) project icon is for some reason the same as "undo/redo history" -- is it by design? I don't think so

Anyway, I highly appreciate and enjoy ability to customize icons. Thank you!
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: [12.00b2] Image list editor

Post by Rickard Johansson »

Add, Insert, Delete, Move Up and Move Down buttons seemed unnecessary at first ...
It depends on how you create the image lists. You prefer to modify existing ones. I prefer to open up two instances of the image list editor, side by side. The one to the left contain a standard image list and the one to the right is a new list. I can ensure you that I didn't add those buttons because I have some strange desire to add buttons to the program :wink: , they were all needed when I created the 20x20 standard image list.

Insert, up and down buttons are very handy when you make mistakes and add e.g. 20 new images just to realize you forgot one in the middle, or added some in the wrong order...
Image 1, Image 2 -- not exactly the most usable naming scheme ...
Actually it is :) It's even essential when creating a new one side by side. Otherwise it would be almost impossible to make sure images are lined up correctly. Image 46 on the right should, of course, correspond to image 46 on the left. and so on... (Images are not really given a name. The string "Image 46" just tells you it's image 46 in the list.)

I'll look into the rest when I get the time 8)
pjj

Post by pjj »

Rickard Johansson wrote:I can ensure you that I didn't add those buttons because I have some strange desire to add buttons to the program :wink:
You can joke all you want, but facts are you have added dozens of buttons to your programs! Are they all really truly necessary? Are they? Admit, you do like buttons, don't you? But that's OK, if you ask me... Here, a couple more for ya:
Image ;)
Rickard Johansson wrote:Insert, up and down buttons are very handy when you make mistakes and add e.g. 20 new images just to realize you forgot one in the middle, or added some in the wrong order...
Unless, of course, you give your images meaningful names -- then you wouldn't need to care about their order. Probably also easier to recognize them in the code.
Rickard Johansson wrote:
Image 1, Image 2 -- not exactly the most usable naming scheme ...
Actually it is :) It's even essential when creating a new one side by side. Otherwise it would be almost impossible to make sure images are lined up correctly. Image 46 on the right should, of course, correspond to image 46 on the left. and so on... (Images are not really given a name. The string "Image 46" just tells you it's image 46 in the list.)
I contend that for images with meaningful names (e.g. "save-as", "options", "word-wrap") order is irrelevant and this approach seems future proof to me (what if you make mistake by not inserting an important image? you'll have to add it to the end of the list); it's easier to guess meaning of image (no need to check in the program.) Just my 3cc, of course.
Rickard Johansson wrote:I'll look into the rest when I get the time 8)
Sure. Thanks a million!
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
pjj

Post by pjj »

Same icons are used for:
- project root in Project Manager Panel and Undo/Redo History... (already mentioned)
- project todo list and block comments (!)
- project configuration (Project > Configuration...) and tools in editor toolbar (which, when clicked, opens Options window with Tools menu) -- yeah, why not? well, why not the same icon as general Options, then? I'd like to use toolbox icon Image there, since it opens tools -- this icon for Project settings makes little sense, though; the same icon is used for Options in Code Explorer
- code/script in user toolbar (by design, probably, but I'm not sure if it's for the best)
- edit "cut" and Text Clips panel (!)
- tbc. 8)
pjj

Post by pjj »

From Image list editor help:
You should create all five sizes for use in RJ TextEd, but it is not necessary.
As my once favorite aphorist Oscar Wilde put it:
"The well bred contradict other people. The wise contradict themselves."
:-D
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson »

As my once favorite aphorist Oscar Wilde put it:
"The well bred contradict other people. The wise contradict themselves."
:oops:
More.png
More.png (615 Bytes) Viewed 12335 times
This image is used as "More..." instead of using a [...] button.
Co? Please clarify... :?

BTW. Image list files are loaded directly by an image list component. The file contain properties like image size and color depth and a single bitmap (not individual images) which is directly stored in the image list component. The image size determine the position of each image in the bitmap. So in a 16x16 image list, image 0 begins at x = 0, image 1 at x = 16 and so on... No names or data for individual images are stored in the list. As I said before, loading the list in one big chunk is fast...
pjj

Post by pjj »

Rickard Johansson wrote:This image is used as "More..." instead of using a [...] button.
Yes, I know that! :-) I just felt it would be better to use two images here, one for the "code" and another one for the "script."
Rickard Johansson wrote:
Co? Please clarify... :?
Did you mean Polish "co?" :lol: OK, here's the thing:
qua.png
qua.png (21.96 KiB) Viewed 12329 times

Image circled in purple can't be found anywhere in the list. Ghost icon was supposed to stand for "block comment" (I know...)
Rickard Johansson wrote:BTW. Image list files are loaded directly by an image list component.
In other words, as a sprite. I asked you twice about it; single "så" would be enough to make me stop bothering you 8)