Version 15.10 beta 3

Test beta versions and make bug reports.
I will release major beta builds only. Bugs fixed will be rolled up into the next major beta build or the finished version.
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Version 15.10 beta 3

Post by Rickard Johansson »

Made some changes in the terminal panel and added support for PHP and Python interactive shell.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Version 15.10 (Aug 26, 2021)
-----------------------------------------------------------

Terminal panel
Added a new panel which works as a terminal window. It uses Cmd.exe in the background and should have most of the functions a real command prompt window has, and more.

The panel toolbar allows you to:

* Enter a path manually in the combo box and move to it.
* Select a favorite folder in drop down list and move to it.
* Save current terminal directory as favorite.
* Change terminal directory to the current document folder.
* Open a folder selection window and change directory to it.
* Change font (and background color if you're not using a theme).
* Restart the terminal (restart cmd.exe).
* Ctrl+` to start a terminal window.

Note!
The panel use a standard windows edit control and only communicate with an open (hidden) command prompt window using standard input/output.
There may be commands that doesn't work properly, like "more" (it displays all of the text at once, but you don't have the space bar control to switch page). Some special keys may work differently (since it's an edit control).

Some features I had to add to the panel myself:

* Command history (up/down arrow). It should work the same as in a real command prompt window. The command history is saved between sessions.
* Auto completion (tab). Should work the same as in a real command prompt window.
* Ctrl+C. Should work the same as in a real command prompt. If it doesn't work use the restart terminal button instead.

Terminal - PHP interactive shell (php -a)
This should work fairly well, but it will never work perfectly over standard input/output.
Up/Down arrows can be used for history and use "exit", or hit Ctrl+Z to exit the php interactive shell.

Terminal - Python interpreter mode (python or python -i)
This should work fairly well, but it will never work perfectly over standard input/output.
Up/Down arrows can be used for history and use "exit()", or hit Ctrl+Z to exit the python interactive mode.
The help utility is supported as well and should work normally.

Language server templates
Templates make adding language servers much easier. Once you've added a language server as a template you never have to add the server settings again.

Several server templates have been added already for you to use. And you can easily change or add one yourself.

Open LSP templates located in the environment menu to modify or add templates.

You can add a language server as a template from project/sites settings if you've already added a server.

Some environment variables can be used in paths:

Code: Select all

%appdata%       = <AppData>\Roaming
    %localappdata%  = <AppData>\Local
    %programfiles%  = c:\Program files
    %homepath%      = c:\Users\<username>
Fixed
* A few reported issues from users.

Download
http://www.rj-texted.nu/downloads/beta/ ... ll_x86.exe
http://www.rj-texted.nu/downloads/beta/ ... ll_x64.exe
http://www.rj-texted.nu/downloads/beta/rj-portable.exe

pjj

Re: Version 15.10 beta 3

Post by pjj »

I have tested new terminal and LSP templates and they work for me just fine -- the only gripe I have is about ToggleTerminalPanelAction.

I have added Terminal panel to the bottom of main editor window, just like you did (I saw it in a screenshot you've published here recently) and added Ctrl+` shortcut (it was not set by default!). Now, when I press Ctrl+`, my panel disappears completely (not just closes), and appears when I press Ctrl+` again. I can see the same behavior with ToggleSearchResultAction, yet it is still not very intuitive for me. "Toggle" may mean "switch between panel and no panel", but it can also mean "switch between open panel and closed panel"; I would very much prefer the latter interpretation as more friendly -- please give it some thought (i.e. if panel has been added by a user, close it instead of hiding).

Another thing: when I press Ctrl+` to hide Terminal panel, repeating this keypress yields nothing, b/c focus went away somewhere and I need to click on editing area or document tab area etc. to restore focus and only then I am able to show Terminal panel again.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

This is the terminology I usually use for panels:

Close
Same as hitting the close button. The panel is closed and disappears from the UI.

Hide
Same as hitting the hide button. The panel hides to the bottom/left/right and a caption or icon is displayed.
This will hide all panels in the same tab group...

Close hidden panel
If you open a hidden panel and wish to close it (which actually hides it), e.g. click outside the panel.

The problem with hide is that it hides all panels if it's inside a tab group. And if you restore the panel - all panels in the same tab group are restored as well.

pjj

Post by pjj »

Thank you for this clarification -- it would be easier for me to use this terminology had there been tooltips showing up when I hover my mouse over icons in the top right corners of the panels (right now there are none). Also "minimize" IMHO would be a better term instead of "hide" -- please compare:
Rickard Johansson wrote:
27 Aug 2021 12:21
Close hidden panel
If you open a hidden panel and wish to close it (which actually hides it), e.g. click outside the panel.
and
Minimize panel
If you restore a minimized panel and wish to minimize it again, click outside this panel.
But let me rephrase my report: right now Toggle%panel%Action toggles between open and closed states; I think that -- if the said panel is already in the UI (i.e. is not closed) -- it would be more intuitive to unhide/hide it (or IMHO better said: restore/minimize it). I ask you to muse on this.

Please also consider adding possibility to embed video files in the forums, e.g. via Embed Video Attachment -- video files (like mp4) are two orders of magnitude smaller than animated gifs I was able to produce.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

There is no way I can minimize and restore a panel if it's docked together in a tab group. I usually group my panels, as you can see below. And I'm sure other users do as well.

_TerminalGroup.png
_TerminalGroup.png (6.84 KiB) Viewed 2282 times
Minimizing one panel will minimize them all. It's just how tab groups work. Open/Close toggle works the same regardless of were the panel is docked.

pjj

Post by pjj »

I believe it is just a bad communication on my part.

I have the same panels as you have, at the bottom of editor -- exactly as can be seen on your screenshot. I hoped it would be possible to press Ctrl+` and have Terminal panel restored and with focus -- just as it is when you click on "Terminal" tab (the one in the screenshot). Subsequent using this shortcut would minimize the panel (just like clicking outside of it does now). Right now Ctrl+` "closes" (removes) this panel, so its tab disappears, and subsequent use of Ctrl+` opens it (=adds its tab and restores it).