PHP manual with user notes

Suggest, ask for or provide links to handy external tools.
pjj

PHP manual with user notes

Post by pjj »

Invaluable source of PHP wisdom: official documentation with users' notes (comments, snippets) in CHM format, now actively maintained. Available in 10 languages (I suppose users' notes are only in English, though). Can be downloaded from http://www.php.net/download-docs.php

In order to use it as an external tool, you must indicate HTML help (.chm) as "Type", and add -RJTextEdID -#klink [CurrentWord] into the "Argument" field.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
wzol

Re: PHP manual with user notes

Post by wzol »

Does anyone still uses this feature? I tried to set it up, but selecting the menu item does nothing for me :(
pjj

Post by pjj »

I use it all the time. And yes, it doesn't work for me with no open documents; otherwise it works as expected.

(I guess "Bugs" or even "Questions" would be more appropriate a section for things like these. Just sayin'.)
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
wzol

Post by wzol »

Then I might be missing something. :? I have set it up as described. Could you provide me the steps the way you are using it?
pjj

Post by pjj »

I just added it as a tool :? Perhaps the screenshot would be more informative:
php_enhanced.png
php_enhanced.png (12.33 KiB) Viewed 33010 times
Btw, did you unblock the CHM file?
wzol

Post by wzol »

Strange :? I have the same setup here, and I have unblocked the chm (an double click open it won't ask for permission).

Maybe there is problem with the next step on my side - how do you open/access it?
pjj

Post by pjj »

Either from the main menu Tools > [php_enhanced_en], or from the icon I've added to the Quickbar. -- I just checked up many UI configurations, hiding/changing different elements (panels etc.), but it still works for me.
wzol

Post by wzol »

Well the menu item is there, but if I choose it, nothing happens - not even an error message. :( Tried to move the chm to another place, but it didn't help.
pjj

Post by pjj »

Does it run without any parameter? Can you open another CHM file this way? Are you sure your argument line contain no typos?
wzol

Post by wzol »

Ok, I think I have tried everything:

- other chms won't work either
- it doesn't open without any parameters either
- I tried both 32 and 64 bit version of the RJ TextEd
- I've managed to open it if I changed the type from chm to Executable but it ignored the arguments that way

So I'm out of ideas. :(
pjj

Post by pjj »

So, I've monkeyed a bit with my computer, unregistered hhctrl.ocx and (possibly) itss.dll, re-registered them, moved around CHM files, changed settings in "Tools" and finally landed in a situation exactly like yours: couldn't run CHM file from within RJ TE as a CHM file, though could as an executable. Double clicking in windows explorer acted as usual. Then I opened up my task manager and spotted two stale instances of hh.exe. I killed both and then I could run CHM files from RJ TE as before. Maybe that's the reason with your PC, too?
wzol

Post by wzol »

Thank you for your help. I tried it, but I couldn't see any hh.exe in my process list. Using portable version on Win7 64 bit btw.