Zeal - offline documentation browser for software developers

Suggest, ask for or provide links to handy external tools.
pjj

Zeal - offline documentation browser for software developers

Post by pjj »

I just learnt from the invaluable gHacks blog about Zeal, free and versatile offline documentation browser for software developers. I have installed it immediately and became a zealot of Zeal ;) It is very handy, I can tell you that.
zeal.png
zeal.png (103.97 KiB) Viewed 14622 times
Zeal internally downloads and manages many (198 as of writing) documentation sets and can be easily integrated with RJ TE as a tool, you just need to use

Code: Select all

--query [CurrentWord]
as an argument. This could be tweaked even further, namely it could be used as

Code: Select all

--query [docsetname]:[CurrentWord]
docsetname being e.g. php. css, python etc. The thing is [FileExt] cannot be used as docsetname because it comes with a leading dot (a bug?). Anyway, I'm going to fill a request to have another keyword available, namely highlighter, which would be even better.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
ethanpil

Re: Zeal - offline documentation browser for software develo

Post by ethanpil »

Wow! Thanks. Its rare to come across something so amazing that I haven't heard of before!
pjj

Re: Zeal - offline documentation browser for software develo

Post by pjj »

Yes, this is very helpful indeed, but the latest update (0.3.0) is still rough at the edges, frequently hangs etc. so my advise is: don't rush it (I had to uninstall it and install previous version again.)
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus