How to auto-open new files

Ask how to do things or if a certain feature is available in the program.
DerellLicht1

How to auto-open new files

Post by DerellLicht1 »

RJTE (15.20) is a bit quirky on how it handles new files...

If I open a file that does not exists, it first asks me if I want to create the file??
Then, after I deal with the file and save, it pops up a new dialog saying "do you want to save this file under the name that you already gave it??"

Both of these questions are not even needed; the answers to both are "yes, obviously" ...
Is there some option that I can set, to get rid of both superfluous questions and dialogs??

I see the option for New Files: "always show a blank text document at startup", but that doesn't quite sound like what I am talking about... I don't see anything else related at all...
pjj

Re: How to auto-open new files

Post by pjj »

DerellLicht1 wrote: 11 Oct 2021 14:25 If I open a file that does not exists, it first asks me if I want to create the file??
How exactly do you open a file that does not exist?
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
vha

Post by vha »

e.g. when started from command line
pjj

Post by pjj »

Thank you, I think I get it now:
  • when I "open a file that doesn't exist" from my file manager ("edit new file"), the file manager creates this file and then opens it in RJ TE, so no extra message windows are shown for me
  • when you "open a file that doesn't exist" via command line, this file is not, in fact, created, hence the confirmation and then save dialog
Yes, I guess the empty file should be created when calling a file on the command line.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
DerellLicht1

Post by DerellLicht1 »

pjj wrote: 12 Oct 2021 08:16 Thank you, I think I get it now:
Yes, I guess the empty file should be created when calling a file on the command line.
Well, it certainly makes sense to me!! It also is a *very* common situation for me to fine myself in...

And beyond that, once the file has been created and opened, it makes *no* sense for the program to open *another* dialog and ask "what filename do you want to save this as??"

So is there any chance of getting these implemented??
Should I enter this as a bug request??
pjj

Post by pjj »

DerellLicht1 wrote: 13 Oct 2021 21:55 And beyond that, once the file has been created and opened (...)
The file is not created, when calling it from the command line, and that's the thing. It is not created, hence the need to point the place where to save it.
DerellLicht1 wrote: 13 Oct 2021 21:55 So is there any chance of getting these implemented??
Should I enter this as a bug request??
I don't want to speak for Rickard, but I guess it'd be more convenient for him if you file a feature request. A feature request? Well, I don't think it's a bug, it's just different way of handling new files than e.g. standard Windows Notepad sports, and it has its merit, too. However, as I said, I'd rather see RJ TE behave like Notepad in this regard AND be able to easily add RJ TE to the system PATH (from within the program), so you could call editor via command line from any place and have new file created in your current directory.