Javascript Autocomplete Query

Ask how to do things or if a certain feature is available in the program.
danielks11

Javascript Autocomplete Query

Post by danielks11 »

Hello

I am new to RJ TextEd.

I am currently learning javascript and I noted that when I type js code, the only autocomplete/intellisense that appears are for keywords already entered in the document and not the general autocomplete for keywords/objects etc.

For example: if I start a new .js file or enter js code between <script> tags embedded in a html file, when I first start typing no autocomplete pops up. But as soon as I type first lets say "document.getElementById", then the next time I start to type "document", then the "getElementById" appears. Let's say I then enter "document.write", then the next time I type "document" then ".getElementById" and ".write" pops up.

I am assuming that this default behavior that I can override by changing a setting in Options. I have went through the settings and checked all the autocomplete options I found but it seems to only affect html and css code. What I would like is when I type the "document" object for javascript, all of the "document." elements/properties appear in a list like how the css and html autocomplete works. And not only for "document" but for "window" and other javascript objects/keywords as well.

Which setting can I change so that I can get the autocomplete to work similar to the html and css autocomplete works like an intellisense feature?

In the likelihood that there is no setting, is there an add-on/plugin/extension that I can install to add full javascript autocomplete/intellisense features?

Also, if no such add-on exists, I have noted that there are js.ini and js.syx files that I am assuming controls the autocomplete features, could someone provide the instructions on what changes would need to be made and to which files in order to activate the full autocomplete/intellisense features for javascript?

Thank you in advance for any assistance anyone can offer.

pjj

Re: Javascript Autocomplete Query

Post by pjj »

I don't write much JS (and almost none of vanilla JS), I haven't used its autocomplete so I don't know how convenient this is, but still there is something you can try out. For some classes list of their functions can be displayed, but first you need to write down their full name and a dot; only then autocomplete window can be invoked with ^space. These classes are listed in Class completion tab of the Syntax editor (Tools > Syntax editor > Open... JScript.syx).

Hope that helps.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson »

I'll add some objects to the syntax file in the next release.

I also noticed some issues when auto complete words is enabled. I'll fix it.

danielks11

Post by danielks11 »

Thank you for both of your responses, Rickard and pjj.

I will check out the syntax editor and I will look out for the update.

By the way, I am using v13.30 64-bit and I have noticed that every time I close the program I get an EAccessViolation error. See the attachment.

I found a previous post that had a similar error and I followed the instructions on how to fix but got the same issue. That post alluded to having Chrome preview disabled but I believe I have mine enabled.

Anyhow should I try the 32-bit version? I will uninstall and reinstall and see if the issue returns. Has anyone else encountered this issue?
Attachments
texted error.PNG
texted error.PNG (17.8 KiB) Viewed 3248 times