Goto line, not function

Ask how to do things or if a certain feature is available in the program.
inspector71

Goto line, not function

Post by inspector71 »

Thanks for this software. It really is a very good program, but ...

... one of the more recent updates has generated a really broken usability scenario for me.

When I hit Ctrl + G, I want to go to a line. It's always been that way in every editor I can ever remember trying. This is a four-keystroke action (Ctrl, G, <line number>, Enter) that's been converted to a six-keystroke action (Ctrl, G, Tab, Space, <line number>, Enter) and that's very annoyingly less efficient.

Is there any way to fix this such that the default for Goto is a line number again? I appreciate that, once this is chosen as the session-default, it sticks but then it reverts to function upon restarting the editor and that's just annoying as well.

I understand the change may have suited some and appreciate that even decades-old functionality can sometimes be improved but not without allowing the old functionality to remain. Computing is aggravatingly annoying with all the endless changes we experience from updates, especially with the current trend of bundling changes to functionality with patches (GRRR) instead of separating the two. It's nice to have a reliable, consistent editor experience to fall back on and RJTE is usually that but this change has been annoying me for weeks if not months before I've had this chance to post about it.

pjj

Re: Goto line, not function

Post by pjj »

inspector71 wrote:
29 Oct 2018 03:04
... one of the more recent updates has generated a really broken usability scenario for me.
Definitely it has few rough edges (e.g. with some scripts, generating exceptions).
inspector71 wrote:
When I hit Ctrl + G, I want to go to a line. It's always been that way in every editor I can ever remember trying. This is a four-keystroke action (Ctrl, G, <line number>, Enter) that's been converted to a six-keystroke action (Ctrl, G, Tab, Space, <line number>, Enter) and that's very annoyingly less efficient.

Is there any way to fix this such that the default for Goto is a line number again? I appreciate that, once this is chosen as the session-default, it sticks but then it reverts to function upon restarting the editor and that's just annoying as well.
This was discussed before (cf. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4539&p=15929), has been corrected and works for me: "Goto line" option is remembered across sessions, so no tab keystroke is necessary.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus

inspector71

Re: Goto line, not function

Post by inspector71 »

pjj wrote:
29 Oct 2018 09:45
inspector71 wrote:

This was discussed before (cf. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4539&p=15929), has been corrected and works for me: "Goto line" option is remembered across sessions, so no tab keystroke is necessary.
Yes I've noticed that which is a big relief.

Unfortunately, there's a new problem, that's similar to the simplicity of losing "Go to line", with the latest update, I think. Probably better if I post it separately.