SFTP: mulitple connections to different servers unsupported?

Ask how to do things or if a certain feature is available in the program.
inspector71

SFTP: mulitple connections to different servers unsupported?

Post by inspector71 »

Hi

I'm having a lot of trouble with RJTE and SFTP ... still. I appreciate work has been done to improve this but I wonder if my usage is not truly supported and thus I need to adjust my expectations / approach.

In short, it appears RJTE cannot support truly simultaneous connections to different SFTP servers. Or in my case, different virtual web servers on the same server. This is something I need from time to time as I want to have the same file open from my 'production' version alongside my 'development' version, for comparison or reference.

RJTE seems to try and work around this issue by prompting users to connect to a different server. AKA, disconnect from the current connection, and connect to another server.

This is seemingly not working well. The initial new connection is made but working with files from it tends to eventually fail an/or work on a file from the previous connection, that is still open in a tab, is not possible because RJTE seems to freak out when trying to reconnect to that original connection (and perhaps disconnect from the current connection, making the files open with that connection now unusable as well ... creating a vicious cycle).

The problem is so bad that it often produces errors and/or semi-crashes RJTE (theming support fail, making RJTE still active but kinda frozen and indicating a full crash is looming) and the only way to resolve that is to force kill RJTE from Task Manager and restart. Sometimes this means the session is lost which sucks.

So, I guess the topic is what it boils down to: does RJTE support working on files from different SFTP connections? If so, it's buggy. I'd like to help resolve this buggyness with details but it's a bit tricky to isolate so I might need some guidance.

Thanks

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: SFTP: mulitple connections to different servers unsupported?

Post by Rickard Johansson »

It seems from your description that you might be better off using the "Sites" panel features. It allows you to set up a local site, test site and a remote site. Each site is listed individually and you can easily copy, move or synchronize files between sites. As well as open, rename or delete them.

I'll look into the SFTP issue when I get the time.

inspector71

Re: SFTP: mulitple connections to different servers unsupported?

Post by inspector71 »

Rickard Johansson wrote:
19 Apr 2020 14:49
It seems from your description that you might be better off using the "Sites" panel features. It allows you to set up a local site, test site and a remote site. Each site is listed individually and you can easily copy, move or synchronize files between sites. As well as open, rename or delete them.

I'll look into the SFTP issue when I get the time.
Thanks Rickard!
I'll see if I can get into the Sites thing. Is it separate to Projects? I never quite got the hang of using Projects. Sites might be more my thing.