HTML validation

Ask how to do things or if a certain feature is available in the program.
simie32

HTML validation

Post by simie32 »

Hi. I am sorry if this has already been answered but I have not been able to find a solution.
For years I have used Microsoft Expressions Web. It has an easy interface, quick switching from preview to code and an effective code checker as you type.
RJ TextEd looks like the ideal replacement for this outdated program but I'm having problems with the code checker (is this what is known as a validator?).

In MS Expressions, the HTML code was underlined if it was not compliant. This could be a syntax error, not valid with the schema or a missed / or ".
Is this available in RJ TextEd? On the main page it says HTML validation, format and repair but I don't know if that is what I'm looking for and where to get it.

Oh, and one final point, I'm guessing because MS Edge cannot be started from command line, it is not able to be included as a Preview browser...?

This is looking to be a great editor. I'll keep familiarising myself with it and hopefully replace MS Expressions. Thank you

pjj

Re: HTML validation

Post by pjj »

simie32 wrote:
08 May 2020 16:12
In MS Expressions, the HTML code was underlined if it was not compliant. (...) Is this available in RJ TextEd? On the main page it says HTML validation, format and repair but I don't know if that is what I'm looking for and where to get it.
There is no real-time underlining of syntax errors, but you can run HTML Tidy on your source (menu HTML > Validate); results will be shown in Message panel. You can also make Tidy automatically "beautify" your code (menu HTML > Beautify).
simie32 wrote:
08 May 2020 16:12
Oh, and one final point, I'm guessing because MS Edge cannot be started from command line, it is not able to be included as a Preview browser...?
If one ever needs an in-built browser preview, I believe one is enough, the more so that Edge you mentioned uses Blink engine, same as Chrome, so differences in rendering should be negligible. (As for the reason I would think it is more because installer size with MS Edge included would be too big, and afaik MS Edge doesn't run on Windows 7.)
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus