RESOLVED - Tooltips on icons, where have they gone?

Ask how to do things or if a certain feature is available in the program.
yereverluvinuncleber

RESOLVED - Tooltips on icons, where have they gone?

Post by yereverluvinuncleber »

Is it my memory or did RJTextEd have tooltips available when hovering over icons in the various toolbars?

I haven't used RJTextEd in anger for a while and I have forgotten a lot of what I previously did in order to do this or that. I hovered over a few icons in the various toolbars to get a hint or reminder as to what each does - and nothing popped up. I could have sworn that facility was available beforehand but it now seems to be switched off (or my memory isn't what it was).

Can you enlighten me?

I searched in the online help for 'tooltip' or 'hint' but nothing popped up related to the Editor configuration itself.
Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on 28 Sep 2021 22:31, edited 1 time in total.
"Noli pati a scelestis opprimi"... or is it "non lacessit illegitimae te carborundum"?

You can find me on Deviantart https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/gallery/
pjj

Re: Question: Tooltips on icons, where have they gone?

Post by pjj »

RJ TE did and still does have tooltips for toolbars icons, and I would be surprised to learn that there's an option to switch them on or off. It must be your particular settings, methinks.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
yereverluvinuncleber

Well that's good to hear at least. The two things I have just done to RJTextEd are, as follows:

a. upgraded to latest version
b. not used it for a long time.

No other changes since last proper use of RJTextEd for development, it isn't something I would ever turn off and like you, I have no knowledge of how to do so, so I doubt it is me. In Windows, in general, all other tooltips on other programs are functioning as expected.

Win7 pro.
"Noli pati a scelestis opprimi"... or is it "non lacessit illegitimae te carborundum"?

You can find me on Deviantart https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/gallery/
pjj

Post by pjj »

Win7 Pro here, too, and the latest version of RJ TE. -- Do you use a theme? (I checked some, but tooltips work for all of them.) Maybe rename TextEd.ini and restart the editor, just so you know if they are present with default settings?
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
yereverluvinuncleber

Good advice, will check and get back to you.

yereverluvinuncleber

I have figured out why tooltips are not showing and it may be something Rickard can work around or it may not... Most likely, the latter.

My own set up here comprises a few runtimes that are in place to handle the programs and utilities that I use or those that have been written by myself.

Examples being the VB.NET and VB6 runtimes, installed by default on Windows, and the YWE framework and that of Xwidget. I have VB.NET, VB6, YWE and Xwidget programs that I have written myself, on my desktop as part of my default set up.

Thinking that one of these could be interfering with RJTextEd's tooltips I have been closing each at a time and seeing if their removal has any positive effect of the tooltips appearing.

When I closed the Xwidget engine, RJTextEd's tooltips reappeared, I restart Xwidget and the tooltips are gone again so having RJTextEd and Xwidget running at the same time appears to cause the problem.

Strange thing is that Context Editor also has the same problem. The thing that links these three programs? They were all written in Delphi... Note: None of my other non Delphi programs have tooltip issues, they all show correctly. Only Delphi programs affected.

So, some further digging into Xwidgets, enabling or disabling individual widget programs showed that only one Xwidget program caused the issue and that was a program called Wanda. That is a screen-saver program that places a small red goldfish called Wanda on my desktop that swims around very realistically, using an animated PNG.
wanda.png
wanda.png (133.33 KiB) Viewed 5323 times
Whilst that one program is operating none of my Delphi-written programs display their tooltips. Something about the way that Xwidget handles an animated PNG causes all Delphi programs to lose their tooltips.

I now know how to make RJTextEd tooltips re-appear again but unfortunately that is at the expense of Wanda who has become an essential part of my desktop. Very sad if I have to kill her.

I am assuming this is simply bad programming on the part of the Xwidget author but Rickard may be able to comment on this one?

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson »

Thanks for looking into it. At least now we know what the problem is.

I have no idea how to solve it though. Tooltips are handled by the Vcl library and is not easily replaced by something else.
yereverluvinuncleber

Re: RESOLVED - Tooltips on icons, where have they gone?

More digging and I found a similar problem, caused by Wanda in a VB6 implementation of balloon tooltips. When Xwidget's animated PNG of Wanda was running, the VB6 balloon tooltips would fail to show. As soon as Wanda was killed <sob> the balloon tooltips would re-appear.

The only reason I mention it is that the VB6 code and APIs used to create the balloon tooltips shown in the link below might well be the same method Delphi-sourced code uses to create its standard tooltips.

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php ... ost5540399

It might not help resolve anything but it might be grist to the mill.