Newbie questions regarding 'search/replace' and 'create project'

Ask how to do things or if a certain feature is available in the program.
Extranjero

Newbie questions regarding 'search/replace' and 'create project'

Post by Extranjero »

Just switched over to this program, and there are remaining a few things/features I can't find/resolve:

Search/replace:
Opted for replace string should be empty opening search works only with the current document, in opening find/replace in files with a shortcut this setting has no effect.
Like in find/replace in files it would be nice if the search in the current document would open the result window below with clickable line-results to jump there with a click.

Project
A create/actualize project from folder feature would be nice, because downloading files from the server with (another ftp program) causes that the (new) downloaded files never would appear in the project.

I think that's all for the moment - it's really a nice and very sophisticated program for web developing based on pure code without all the Microsoft Goodies/Badies.

Greetings from the other end of the world, from Argentina
Extranjero
Mejor que nunca.
pjj

Re: Newbie questions regarding 'search/replace' and 'create project'

Post by pjj »

There are two modes of finding/replacing: modal window and searchbar (Options > Search > Find/Replace options), I guess you use the latter -- it's worth mentioning, you know ;)
Extranjero wrote: 27 Oct 2021 10:21 Search/replace:
Opted for replace string should be empty opening search works only with the current document, in opening find/replace in files with a shortcut this setting has no effect.
1) I can replicate this behavior with the searchbar, but not modal window; 2) it doesn't work for me even for simple "Replace", i.e. with this setting ("empty") replace box is not cleared.
Extranjero wrote: 27 Oct 2021 10:21 Like in find/replace in files it would be nice if the search in the current document would open the result window below with clickable line-results to jump there with a click.
It works for modal window, but I can't see similar options in the searchbar.
Extranjero wrote: 27 Oct 2021 10:21 Project
A create/actualize project from folder feature would be nice, because downloading files from the server with (another ftp program) causes that the (new) downloaded files never would appear in the project.
You can add "synchronized folder" (Project > Add synchronized folder...) to automatically refresh file list (perhaps even main folder of your project may be synchronized this way? Don't know, I have never done that).

OK, I can see one bug report and two feature requests; but questions? I want questions!

Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
Extranjero

Post by Extranjero »

You are a genius.
Resolved all.
Thx.
Mejor que nunca.
pjj

Post by pjj »

Extranjero wrote: 27 Oct 2021 18:35 You are a genius.
Extranjero wrote: 27 Oct 2021 18:35 Resolved all.
Thx.
¡No hay de qué! I'm glad it worked for you.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
Extranjero

Post by Extranjero »

Search/replace in files: Is there an option to set search in project instead of search in folder as for default in the combolist? Or assign different keyboard short-cuts one for search in current file from start and one for search in project?

And: still having problems to integrate files downloaded to the project's assigned folder into the current project.
Actualize button, assign a synchronized folder etc. don't have any desired effect (if they have one).
The only working manner I found until now is delete the entire project, create a new project and assign the (main-)folder newly.
Is there an easier way to actualize the filelists in the project?
Mejor que nunca.
pjj

Post by pjj »

May I ask that you start new threads with new questions/bug reports etc.? It would be easier for me and others to engage (reply, link to answers in the future etc.).
Extranjero wrote: 28 Oct 2021 08:51 Search/replace in files: Is there an option to set search in project instead of search in folder as for default in the combolist? Or assign different keyboard short-cuts one for search in current file from start and one for search in project?
I don't use searchbar, I use only modal window for searching and replacing. For this modal window (probably also searchbar) it is possible. You can assign shortcuts to many actions in Environment > Customize keyboard. Actions list is searchable. What you're after is FindInTextAction and FindInFilesAction.

I don't think you can further narrow it and has different shortcut for searching in open files vs searching in project files; if you need such feature, you may request it -- or write your own script with AutoIt. However you may check one option, e.g. "search in project files" and your choice will be retained, so next time you open search window appropriate radiobox will be checked.
Extranjero wrote: 28 Oct 2021 08:51 And: still having problems to integrate files downloaded to the project's assigned folder into the current project.
Actualize button, assign a synchronized folder etc. don't have any desired effect (if they have one).
The only working manner I found until now is delete the entire project, create a new project and assign the (main-)folder newly.
Is there an easier way to actualize the filelists in the project?
Did you try adding synchronized folder? Do you need such subfolder or should your project be synchronized as a whole? (I don't know answer to your question, I'd have to make some experiments -- I haven't mastered all RJ TE features, which are plenty ;))
Extranjero

Post by Extranjero »

--> May I ask that you start new threads with new questions/bug reports etc.?

Thought that moderators would receive notification if there's a new post/answer, didn't wanna mess up the forum list with tousands of newbie questions where all know the answer but not the newbie ... but I'll open new threads in future :-)

--> I use only modal window for searching and replacing

I would like to use modal window, but as metioned before, modal window, does not open search results below when searchin in the current file.

--> Did you try adding synchronized folder? Do you need such subfolder or should your project be synchronized as a whole
The whole project should be synchronized and I tried all.
Generally clicking an option suggesting that the project could be synchronized doesn't result in any effect, but I don't remember with what, even got the new/downloaded file appear in the project, with the little disadvantage that all the other files of the project have been deleted from there ...

The only working manners for until now are:

a) delete the whole project and create a new one

b) search and open the downloaded files and add them manually, one by one to the the project

As one can/should opt in to alert when a file was changed by external program, demonstrates that a project file scanning exists and works in the background, so it should be available even for files added by external program.

And to prove that project file scanning exists and works, simple delete a file from your disk and reopen the project, and u would be alerted that there's a file missing ...
So a synchronize project with it's folder button would be nice.
Mejor que nunca.
pjj

Post by pjj »

Extranjero wrote: 28 Oct 2021 17:47 Thought that moderators would receive notification if there's a new post/answer, didn't wanna mess up the forum list with tousands of newbie questions where all know the answer but not the newbie ... but I'll open new threads in future :-)
Thank you! (I use RSS to get informed about new posts.)
Extranjero wrote: 28 Oct 2021 17:47 I would like to use modal window, but as metioned before, modal window, does not open search results below when searchin in the current file.
Right, and I mentioned before that it worked for me alright 8) Check your settings, set "List all items found".
Extranjero wrote: 28 Oct 2021 17:47 --> Did you try adding synchronized folder? Do you need such subfolder or should your project be synchronized as a whole
The whole project should be synchronized and I tried all.
Yes, same here; synchronized folder is what it is, a folder -- without subfolders.
Extranjero wrote: 28 Oct 2021 17:47 The only working manners for until now are: (...)

b) search and open the downloaded files and add them manually, one by one to the the project
You could save yourself the last move (adding files manually) by checking "Add opened documents to project"...if only it worked :( I will fill a bug report. -- OK, I can see that checking also "Add new documents to project" adds newly open files to the project.

You can also open all new files, then RMC on document tab area and click on "Add all files to project".
Extranjero wrote: 28 Oct 2021 17:47 As one can/should opt in to alert when a file was changed by external program, demonstrates that a project file scanning exists and works in the background (...)
Yes, but only for open documents. I assume/vaguely remember that the rationale against scanning all project subfolders every time when editor gets focus is that it would slow down its responsiveness significantly, when there are many files.
Extranjero wrote: 28 Oct 2021 17:47 So a synchronize project with it's folder button would be nice.
You may want to file a feature request. Or -- add your ftp files to the project and then work on local copies, which would be saved locally and remotely, eliminating the need to download them when you want to do an edit.
Extranjero

Post by Extranjero »

Just another idea and all synchronize project probs would vanish (idea not heavy enough to start a new thread):
If there where an option open folder, projects would be unused in my case.
Unused things normally don't creat probs ...
Once knowing well what it is more or less exactly what I want, I promise to create a feature request, meanwhile I'm trying/discussing solutions based on the existing features.
Mejor que nunca.
pjj

Post by pjj »

In the sidebar you can open explorer (View > Panels > Explorer) with the (synchronized) folder into which you download files from ftp and easily open any new files (and add them to project?). Maybe that would be the solution?
Extranjero

Post by Extranjero »

Might be a solution, but isn't.

Search/replace set to dialog or tool-window sucks at search in the current file because it doesn't open the search results.
BTW: I can't find any difference between dialog or tool-window ...

Search/replace set to search-bar on bottom sucks at search in in folder (only works within a project or if the folder is the folder of the current document, but not works on a folder containing the folder of the current document ...).

When opening search and replace in files by default the search-bar on bottom starts with the search in folder option (which doesn't work there, see above)

Changing in the combo-box from search/replace folder (which doesn't work there, see above) to search/replace in project the replace line vanishes, and the remains only the search line.

So the solution there is to open the search-bar with search/replace in the current file (ctrl + H) and from there select in the combo-box search/replace in project - doing this the replace line too remains.

From the second search/replace action on, the appearing text in the replace line can't be edited, with a little bit of luck u can set a new text. If not always remains to restart the program, so u have a new try with a first search/replace action.

Sometimes entering a new search or replace text causes the combo-box to jump to from search/replace folder (which doesn't work there, see above) ...

As summary we could proclame that all parts are working, but not always where and how they should work, bringing a little bit order in the search/replace components would resolve the probs there.
Mejor que nunca.
pjj

Post by pjj »

Extranjero wrote: 31 Oct 2021 12:40 Might be a solution, but isn't.
Tough cookies. Please fill in feature request.
Extranjero wrote: 31 Oct 2021 12:40 Search/replace set to dialog or tool-window sucks at search in the current file because it doesn't open the search results.
BTW: I can't find any difference between dialog or tool-window ...
No, it does not "suck"; you set "List all item found", click on "Find All" and for some reason search panel doesn't open. (You can open it manually via View > Panels > Search Results, but it should be opened automatically.) OK. This works for me. Please fill in bug report.
Extranjero wrote: 31 Oct 2021 12:40 Search/replace set to search-bar on bottom sucks at search in in folder (only works within a project or if the folder is the folder of the current document, but not works on a folder containing the folder of the current document ...).
Works for me. Please fill in bug report.
Extranjero wrote: 31 Oct 2021 12:40 When opening search and replace in files by default the search-bar on bottom starts with the search in folder option (which doesn't work there, see above)
It retains the last scope for me. Please fill in bug report.
Extranjero wrote: 31 Oct 2021 12:40 Changing in the combo-box from search/replace folder (which doesn't work there, see above) to search/replace in project the replace line vanishes, and the remains only the search line.
Works for me. Please fill in bug report.
Extranjero wrote: 31 Oct 2021 12:40 As summary we could proclame that all parts are working, but not always where and how they should work, bringing a little bit order in the search/replace components would resolve the probs there.
I suppose problems you're experiencing are somehow linked to your environment/settings, because I cannot replicate them. Please fill in bug reports, indicating search option you use (modal window/searchbar) and steps necessary to get the result you're getting.

I'm going to lock this thread, so you're not tempted to answer here ;)