JScript syntax file: common class member lists

Discuss syntax highlighting or submit new syntax files.
Marcus

JScript syntax file: common class member lists

Post by Marcus »

Hi everyone,

First of all, I wish make my personal congratualtions to Rickard for the x[index].member implementation: with this feature, writing JScritp code, with a well defined JScript syntax file, has become very very easy and funny!

Yesterday, I started to add a lot of class and class member to the JScript syntax file. During this activity I see that more member lists are common to many class. For example: the

Code: Select all

HTMLElement
members (properties, methods, events and arrays) are applyed to

anchors

forms
ecc.
So, for the

document.anchors[].
array I have to define the specific members for the anchor class and then add the members of the

HTMLElement
class (beacuse anchor is actually an object of

HTMLElement
class). In the same mode, I have define the specific members for the

form
class (of the array

document.forms[].
) and then add all the members for

HTMLElement
to the form class.

I think that is possible to reduce a lot of work if we can define "virtual" class and use that as item in the class member list. A "virtual" class in not a part of class list (allow autocompletion to distinguish real class from virtual class), but is a specific list. Then, when we build the class members list, we can add specific class items and add all the members of a "virtual" class, simply specifing the name of the virtual class.
For example, in the

document.anchors[].
class I add

href
as proper member and, adding

HTMLElement
as "virual" class, I can automatically add all the member of that "virtual" class to the

document.anchors[].
!

Do you think that is a reasonable/praticable solutions?

Thankyou in advance for your comments
Marcus
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson »

Maybe something like this?

[AutoComplete]
@BaseClass=members common in most classes
FooClass=@BaseClass|other members not in the BaseClass list
I guess we could add @Class lists in its own section e.g.

[BaseClassLists]
@BaseClass=...
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Oh Yes Rickard, it will works fine.
I think that is better to leave the [AutoComplete] section as it is and add a new [BaseClassList] section.
Please, take a look to the following real case

[AutoComplete]
document.archors[].=href|href+p##@HTMLElement##

[BaseClassList]
HTMLElement=name|name+p##@attributes[].|attributes[]+n##@childNodes[].|childNodes[]+n##setAttribute()|setAttribute+m##getAttribute()|getAttribute()+m##...
attributes[].=name|name+p##value|value+p##nodeValue|nodeValue+p
childNodes[].=@HTMLElement
-- 1st case --
we write the following code

document.anchors[x].
we looking for document.anchors[]. in the [AutoComplete] section, finding realted match.
The list in the autocomplete pop-up window will show href and the "expansion" of @HTMLElement, that

href
name
attributes[]
childNodes[]
setAttribute()
getAttribute()

-- 2 case --
we write the code

document.anchors[x].attributes[y].
We looking for document.archors[].attributes[]. in the [AutoComplete] section, finding no match.
We can stripping-out the last part of the class chain (attributes[].) obtaining document.anchors[]. that exists in the [AutoComplete] section.
Expangin @HTMLElement, and selecting only the members starting with the '@' character, we obtain attributes[]. and childNodes[].; we can combine these two with the starting code, obtaining

document.anchors[].attributes[].
document.anchors[].childNodes[].

Does any of these match the starting code? Yes: we have document.archors[].attributes[]. !!
So we can list the member of attributes[]. in the [BaseClassList] section, obtain the following items to show in the autocomplete pop-up window.

name
value
nodeValue

-- 3rd case --
we write the code

document.anchors[x].childNodes[y].
So, we looking for document.anchors[].childNodes[]. in the [AutoComplete] section, finding no match.
Again, we can stripping-out the last part of the code and looking for document.anchors[]. in the [AutoComplete] section.
Expanding the @HTMLElement, only for the members that start with the '@' character, we have attributes[]. and childNodes[].; combine these members with the starting code, we can have

document.anchors[].attributes[].
document.anchors[].childNodes[].

The second item, match the code of the 3rd case, so we can search the childNodes[]. in the [BaseClassList] section and expand the @HTMLElement, obtaining the follogin items to show in the autocomplete pop-up window

name
attributes[]
childNodes[]
getAttribute()
setAttribute()

What do you think about?
Marcus
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson »

It's a bit to complicated. I want it to be rather simple and the [BaseClassList] , or whatever I decide to call it, should just be a list of variables with a member list.

[BaseClassList]
@HTMLElement=name|name+p##attributes[]|attributes[]+n##childNodes[]|childNodes[]+n##setAttribute()|setAttribute+m##getAttribute()|getAttribute()+m##...

[AutoComplete]
document.archors[].=href|href+p##@HTMLElement##
document.archors[].attributes[].=name|name+p##value|value+p##nodeValue|nodeValue+p
document.archors[].childNodes[].=@HTMLElement 
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Yes Rickard, simplify is always right!

Please note that attributes[]. and childNodes[]. (like other base class) could be base-class themself, because could be use in other class (some class could use only attributes[]., some other class could use only childNodes).
But this is only an example!

Thank-you very much for your support.
Marcus