SFTP: Save / upload fails "open in Source and text editor!"

Report issues, odd behaviors or submit a detailed bug report.
inspector71

SFTP: Save / upload fails "open in Source and text editor!"

Post by inspector71 » 24 Sep 2017 09:57

Hello

Firstly, just found RJ TextEd and cannot believe how amazing it is. Truly outstanding code.

Unfortunately, I'm just settling in to my love affair with the program and contemplating donations when this rather odd message appears:

I tried to upload a debug dump with the built-in tool but received a login error asking me to log into google via my browser, but I already was logged in. Clearly some failure in SMTP authentication. Saving the dump wouldn't work either.

I suspect the core problem is some sort of issue when saving the file both locally and remotely as this is the mode I opted for.

Initially I suspected the error was due to permission issues on the remote server but after I resolved those, the error persists.

I'll try running your debug version if I can but is there a way to remove the "Always do this for this file" option to save locally and remotely? After I cancel the above error, the title bar displays the file path as %AppData%\Roaming\RJ TextEd\temp\. So I suspect it's the local save that is failing. If I can disable the choice to always save locally and remotely, this may be a partial workaround.

Thanks in advance and once again, great editor.
pd

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: SFTP: Save / upload fails "open in Source and text editor!"

Post by Rickard Johansson » 24 Sep 2017 13:40

Try to save the file using "Save As...". The next time you hit "Save" you should see the save prompt again.

inspector71

Post by inspector71 » 25 Sep 2017 08:44

Rickard Johansson wrote:
24 Sep 2017 13:40
Try to save the file using "Save As...". The next time you hit "Save" you should see the save prompt again.
Fairly sure I did that several times, though the File > FTP > Save (Remote) and File > FTP > Save As (Remote) but it made no difference. No access to that machine ATM though.

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson » 25 Sep 2017 13:00

I meant "File -> Save As...".

inspector71

Post by inspector71 » 26 Sep 2017 03:21

Rickard Johansson wrote:
25 Sep 2017 13:00
I meant "File -> Save As...".
Ok, cool, I guess that makes sense if I am trying to save locally *and* remotely. For the moment I'll probably just keep saving remotely as I've always done. I was thinking the local and remote option was a great way to keep a local copy in case of network problems but it seems it's not quite as smooth as it might be, just yet :)

Flipping love this software though. Brilliant. You'll possibly hate me, but I can only imagine how much more incredible it *might* become if people could help you patch bugs, if not add features. But I've seen your FAQ about open source so I know what your views are.

UPDATE: Oh bugger, update failed literally after I clicked away from this window :) Is that something I can provide you debugging information for? Unfortunately the new version is not yet available under the downloads page. I'm guessing you worked so hard to get as many tweaks into the release as you could, so perhaps haven't had a chance to get around to that yet :) No worries. It can wait.

Thanks again
Paul

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson » 26 Sep 2017 19:20

I've tried several times using v12.40 beta 1 and as far as I can see it's working properly. The file is saved locally and then uploaded to the server.

And just incase you missed it - the beta updates are always posted in the beta release thread https://www.rj-texted.se/Forum/viewtopi ... 882#p14882. You can download the update manually and install.

inspector71

Post by inspector71 » 27 Sep 2017 04:29

Rickard Johansson wrote:
26 Sep 2017 19:20
I've tried several times using v12.40 beta 1 and as far as I can see it's working properly. The file is saved locally and then uploaded to the server.

And just incase you missed it - the beta updates are always posted in the beta release thread https://www.rj-texted.se/Forum/viewtopi ... 882#p14882. You can download the update manually and install.
Thanks for the beta notice. I'm still new to RJTE so picking things up along the way.

I'll see if I can reproduce next time I use my home computer. Thanks for trying to debug this. Wish I could have been more helpful.