FIXED: General unusable state: 30% CPU, no submenus; freezes

Report issues, odd behaviors or submit a detailed bug report.
inspector71

FIXED: General unusable state: 30% CPU, no submenus; freezes

Post by inspector71 » 09 Oct 2017 02:47

[UPDATE]:

It would seem this bug is constant. This may be due to the program always running a RHS pane even when there's nothing open in it. Regardless, the 30% constant CPU usage issue is now appearing for me when I'm not (from my PoV) using dual pane. Worse still, it seems this state is unsustainable and thus eventually causes a (Not Responding) freeze from no obvious user action. There's no waiting around for it to recover and I have to restart. This can make the program unusable for me because I might need a sub menu to save to SFTP and these menus aren't available in this state :(

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help you troubleshoot. I tried to remove the empty RHS pane but there doesn't seem to be an option for that.

Hi

Thanks again for this editor. It's so far ahead of others, it's mad. Thanks also for being so responsive to bug reports. Software is only as good as it's maintenance after all.

I do have a tricky situation with RJTE though. At times, the user interface (UI) in general seems to start running in a kind of degraded, but still mainly functional, state. Symptoms include:
  1. Sub menus do not open
  2. Left pane: Cursor disappears
  3. Left pane: Selections aren't visible
  4. Left pane: Keyboard shortcut actions, such as those I've assigned to folding, are laggy or only kick in when the cursor is moved
  5. Left pane: Scrolling is laggy/unpredictable
I suspect this is a bug with the dual pane functionality, which is invaluable IMHO and a brilliant idea. RJTE is using a constant 30% of CPU whilst in this 'degraded' state.

I have three files open: two in the left pane, one in the right. None of them are duplicated. All of them are less than 1000 lines. The left pane contains one HTML and one JS file. The right pane contains one JS file. All are UTF-8 w/o BOM.

Memory is 115MB and remains constant.

Meanwhile the right hand pane performs perfectly! :)

The CPU usage returns to normal when the right hand pane is closed.

Unsure what other info I can give you other than a video demonstration which may be possible. If there's anything I can give you, please let me know.

Paul

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: General unusable state: 30% CPU, no submenus; freezes

Post by Rickard Johansson » 11 Oct 2017 22:31

I have no idea how to reproduce this. And since no one else has reported a similar problem it's likely it's related to your settings, and possibly the files you've opened.

Would you mind sending me your settings file (AppData\Roaming\RJ TextEd\TextEd.ini)?

BTW. you can toggle dual view mode on/off in the windows menu. You can also add a toolbar button for this.

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: ??? General unusable state: 30% CPU, no submenus; freezes

Post by Rickard Johansson » 14 Oct 2017 15:13

I could really use your help trying to reproduce this. Any chance you can send me your settings file (AppData\Roaming\RJ TextEd\TextEd.ini)?

You can email it as an attachment. E.g. "Help -> Send bug report" and add the file as an attachment.

inspector71

Post by inspector71 » 17 Oct 2017 14:38

Hi Rickard

Hope you got my ini file via PM.

Here's a screenshot that suggests the problem is not limited to dual pane.

I'd make my next best guess at what it might be, but I don't want to cloud your debugging mindset, unless you're stuck for ideas. Are you?

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson » 17 Oct 2017 17:30

I haven't received a PM. I think you need to zip the file (or send it by email).

If you have any idea why this is happening, please share your thoughts. I can't reproduce it, so debugging the problem is almost impossible.

inspector71

Post by inspector71 » 18 Oct 2017 01:59

Weird re PM.

My guess is it might be FTP related. That's just a really bad instinctive guess though. Based on very little. FWIW, everything I do is FTP so it's weird that I sometimes go to open a new file and I seemingly don't have a connection but this may be normal, expected behaviour and it's more that I'm just still familiarising myself with the software.

Did you know .ini is a blocked attachment extension in this forum software? :) I'll rename. WTF, so is .txt! You'll have to rename from .jpg :)

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson » 18 Oct 2017 20:30

Still no PM.

Would you mind send it by email instead? E.g. "Help -> Send bug report" and add the file as an attachment.

inspector71

Post by inspector71 » 19 Oct 2017 05:29

I did email earlier, though you may not recognise me as the sender :)

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson » 19 Oct 2017 12:03

Fixed in v12.41 (final).

It was a combination of a scrollbar resize issue and using the option to auto hide the horizontal scrollbar that caused the issue.

Thanks for your help in tracking this down.

inspector71

Re: FIXED: General unusable state: 30% CPU, no submenus; freezes

Post by inspector71 » 19 Oct 2017 12:26

I was wondering around the horizontal scrollbar. It has been appearing/disappearing a lot and I was going to mention it eventually because it's a little distracting. I didn't want to heap on the bugs/complaints though with what is excellent software.

Congrats on finding the bug and I'm glad I could help.