FIXED: Help needed - All the website is deleted

Report issues, odd behaviors or submit a detailed bug report.
sp1key

FIXED: Help needed - All the website is deleted

Post by sp1key »

I am using the editor portable version 14.62 in windows vista. I had made a website and working on it. Then I tried to delete a folder (the folder was empty) in the website using the "Sites" panel. But instead to delete the folder the program deleted all my website's folder. And all my work and files are gone now without a warning or a confrmation message. Is there a way to restore my files? Please help...so much work is gone

pjj

Re: Help needed - All the website is deleted

Post by pjj »

Have you deleted files on your disk or a server? If the latter, maybe your hosting company has daily backup (good ones make it)? If the former, try any undelete software (there may be Windows native component for that, but I never used it). Important: either use portable undelete software or install it on a different partition than your website's file were.

Best of luck (and start doing backups)!
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus

sp1key

Post by sp1key »

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. The folder and files were local. I tried a recovery software (portable one) but no luck. As I am a software developer I believe that this is a crutial bug of this program. Everyone knows that if the user is going to delete a file (or folder) the software MUST request for a confirmation.
And I was actually try to delete a folder inside the website's main folder; the selected folder was highlighted in the panel when I click "Delete" - but instead of this, software deleted the MAIN folder. And without a confirmation message!! At least it should have keep a kind of backup before deletion.
Come on, if this happened to a live web server it could be real disaster!

pjj

Post by pjj »

Yes, this must have been some nasty bug, because even if I try to remove a file from a project, the editor asks me if I'm sure to do that. As I use separate file manager, I never used the built-in one.

...I just did a quick test. There are two ways to manage files in RJ TE: either via View > Panels > Explorer 1 & 2, or View > Main window tabs > File Commander. The former has no "delete" button (only RMC), the latter has, but clicking on it I get standard Windows message window "Are you sure to permanently..."?. I assume you used the latter route. Tough luck :(

Did the undelete software you tried show the name of a deleted folder? Some leftovers must have been left in the MFT! If not, there are programs that scan unused sectors to recover whatever can be recovered (in a very messy form, alas), maybe try such measure?
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson »

You always get a delete prompt when deleting something in the "Sites" panel. It doesn't matter if the selected files and folders are local or remote. The prompt could be a bit clearer though and possible list the selected files and folders to be deleted.

I also noticed that the files and folders are not moved to the recycle bin. I'll fix that.

To recover your files you could try something like Recuva https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

yereverluvinuncleber

Post by yereverluvinuncleber »

The editor cannot recover your files. It is an editor. Any recovery of data can only occur at the o/s level. RJTexted may make a backup of the last file it edited but the file/folder panel is just a window on the file system and anything could happen there. Fault is often found before the keyboard and you need to cater for that.

RJTextEd may have a file/folder panel but you need to use that with the normal caveats when handling files/folders.

For example, I regularly take best practice and make a copy the folder I am working on BEFORE I make any changes. If the copy is remote then take a backup beforehand on every change and transfer it down to the local PC.

if the file is remote then there is sure to be a daily backup taken by the main webdev using the daily scheduled tasks in cpanel. If not then change your webdev. If that's you then the host will have a backup and if you ask very nicely and possibly pay them some cash they may restore your files. That flexibility is down to the host you have chosen.

Remember that when you use a recently created tool such as a new version of RJTed then you must expect it to do the worst to your data. WE are the testers and RJ is really still in beta as it is growing and changing almost monthly. Don't use the latest and greatest version unless you are prepared to encounter problems. Stick to the older, more stable versions you have tried and tested yourself.

Life is a cruel lesson and we have all been where you are now. Backup, backup, backup (then take a backup).
"Noli pati a scelestis opprimi"... or is it "non lacessit illegitimae te carborundum"?

You can find me on Deviantart https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/gallery/

HSeldon

Post by HSeldon »

If you have not disabled System Restore on your system, you may be able to recover files from a recent restore point.
You can download Shadow Explorer from https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/downlo ... wexplorer/
It has a Windows Explorer type interface. Choose a restore point, locate the files/folders you want to extract, right-click and Export...

Of course, if you have disabled System Restore, or the most recent restore point is too old, this will not help.
Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.

sp1key

Post by sp1key »

Thanks to all of you that suggest possible ways to solve the issue. Actually I couldn't restore the files but the lost is not so much... 1-2 days work. Just because
1) I was working on a local copy of a web server and
2) For the most of the new things added, I used "Text Clips" :)
(Really this one is a GREAT feature of the program!!)

Anyway, I managed to re-produce the issue. And program did the same thing: delete all the testing folder again - totally. So I describe the whole procedure, hoping that this will be fixed in a future update:
1) Make a new site in the site panel
2) Right-click on the site name New -> Folder. The program creates a new folder with name "new"
3) This is the bug:
3a) If the user will not press the enter key but instead press right-click (with the new folder still selected) and choose from menu "Delete" then all files and folders are deleted - even the folder of the site from the disk. Totally deletion no recycle bin...nothing.
3b) If the user after creaton of the "new"folder press the enter key, then everything is ok. I mean when user selects "Delete" from the right-click menu the program deletes only the new created folder and nothing else.
4) And yes, you get a confirmation message in both of the above cases but this message is not so clear as in both cases it is the same message. And in both cases folder is totally deleted no recycle bin...nothing.

I hope this will help a little...

Thanks again for all your replies. For your time and will to help me.
Closing this message I must say that this editor is a great piece of software. I tried a lot of editors before, always to found out that some basic features where missing. This one is really a pretty useful tool.

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson »

I think I've fixed all issues now in the next release (v14.70 final).

1. A canceled edit when creating a new folder should properly create the folder on disk with default name "new".
2. Delete after a canceled "new folder" edit should work properly now.
3. The delete prompt contain all files and folders to be deleted.
4. Deleted items are moved to the recycle bin.

yereverluvinuncleber

Re: FIXED: Help needed - All the website is deleted

Post by yereverluvinuncleber »

I might hesitate to suggest that the Beta nature of RJTextEd should be more clearly pointed out when the user comes to download and/or install RJTextEd. The majority of us know what is implied when using a tool that is still under development, that often it is we, the users that are doing the testing and that there could be unforeseen side effects. I tend to 'use' an older more stable version in general except when I am testing the editor itself.

The vast majority of users are probably computer literate but probably also male (and therefore unable to read any fine-print instructions) so a large hint somewhere in very bold text might be more applicable.

I work with the ReactOS team on documentation and testing and one thing we have to restate time and time again is the Alpha state of the project. Using ReactOS on a 'live' system means any users put their data at great risk and that they MUST not use ReactOS on a system that contains live data or even has access to live user data. We have to write it LOUD AND CLEAR on the site, the documentation and elsewhere. It still catches users out but at least we can say "we tried to warn you, next time read the instructions".

RJTextEd is obviously a lot more mature than ReactOS, it is also an editor rather than a complete o/s but it needs to be understood when instructing the o/s to perform file/folder operations that similar results could occur. The Beta nature of an editor and its potential side effects need to be highlighted a little more I feel.
"Noli pati a scelestis opprimi"... or is it "non lacessit illegitimae te carborundum"?

You can find me on Deviantart https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/gallery/