REQUEST: Select search results using up/down keys

Make a request or discuss new features.
yereverluvinuncleber

REQUEST: Select search results using up/down keys

Post by yereverluvinuncleber » 05 Feb 2019 11:37

Currently, when the search results are displayed in the results window it is possible to select each line of found text using the cursor/mouse. The scrollbar rolls the results up/down but the current result line that has focus does not increment or decrement. If the results window has focus and you click on a found line and then use the cursor up/down keys the editor window is modified and the line moves up and down thee despite it not having focus.

It would be quite useful for focus to be retained within the results window and to be able to select each resulting found line using the up/down keys. When there are many results it is very useful to be able to roll up and down through the list of results using the cursor keys. Especially so when you are using the trackpad or when you do not have a pointing device at all.

It should also be possible to switch focus from the editor window to the results window at a mere mouse point and click.
Noli pati a scelestis opprimi...

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: REQUEST: Select search results using up/down keys

Post by Rickard Johansson » 11 Feb 2019 18:16

I think you can do what you want already. To focus the result window - click on the search result panel title. You should then be able to move up and down using the arrow keys and highlight a found string in the editor by pressing ENTER.

yereverluvinuncleber

Re: REQUEST: Select search results using up/down keys

Post by yereverluvinuncleber » 12 Feb 2019 02:38

You are quite right, I have it now. Thankyou.

I do think the idea of clicking on the search results title bar is not necessarily very intuitive. My suggestion would be that any click on the search results should give focus to the searches and allow up/down selection of each search.
Noli pati a scelestis opprimi...