SOLVED: Double-click and left/right key moves cursor position

Make a request or discuss new features.
yereverluvinuncleber

SOLVED: Double-click and left/right key moves cursor position

Post by yereverluvinuncleber »

On many HTML editors (Frontpage, NVU, Kompozer &c) a double-click on a word or a selection of text followed by a left/right key, moves the cursor position either to the beginning or end of the selected area. This is a neat trick that conforms logically to the selection act you have just performed. In RJte a cursor left/right just moves the cursor one step from its original position. It would be good if RJTe had this capability too. I often find myself selecting a region then pressing left to move the cursor to the beginning of the region and being surprised that it has not been implemented. I have become so familiar with this functionality that it is ingrained.

A small request but a nice to have. If RJTe has it and it is configurable already I will be pleased to take the advice.
Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on 01 Jan 2019 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
"Noli pati a scelestis opprimi"... or is it "non lacessit illegitimae te carborundum"?

You can find me on Deviantart https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/gallery/

micha_he

Re: REQUEST: Double-click and left/right key moves cursor position

Post by micha_he »

Nice idea... .+1

pjj

Post by pjj »

I'm not quite sure this is such a good idea, b/c it subverts the way RJ TE works now: you select some text in either direction and then you can shrink or expand selection while holding Shift key; if you use arrows, or any other key, selection disappears -- and this is teh standard behavior, cfr. Windows Notepad (also NoteTab, PsPad, Notepad++, ...). Of course, this might be an implemented as an option.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus

yereverluvinuncleber

An option - yes of course. Many of us come here from the web tools, javascript, html, php and all the editors I have used from that world have this functionality so compatibility is quite important for that community. Can't remember if VB6 had it and I have no method of checking at the moment. An option would be fine.
"Noli pati a scelestis opprimi"... or is it "non lacessit illegitimae te carborundum"?

You can find me on Deviantart https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/gallery/

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson »

a double-click on a word or a selection of text followed by a left/right key, moves the cursor position either to the beginning or end of the selected area.
The option "General -> Left/right arrow moves text cursor to start/end of selection" should do just that. But do you want an added option to preserve the selection? Or am I missing something :?

yereverluvinuncleber

No, you got it right first time! The option is there and have set it, it works and so I will close this one off now. Thankyou for the help

My problem seems to be the help system, I search it and I look for terms that should point me in the correct direction but it doesn't always point me to what I am looking for.

Thanks again!

pjj

Re: SOLVED: Double-click and left/right key moves cursor position

Post by pjj »

Well, isn't it great that at least one person -- i.e. Rickard -- remembers all the options? :oops: :lol:

Happy New Year, everybody! Szczęśliwego nowego roku! Gott nytt år!
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus