DONE: Enclose with smart double quotes / smart single quotes

Make a request or discuss new features.
primehalo

DONE: Enclose with smart double quotes / smart single quotes

Post by primehalo »

I think it'd be useful to be able to quickly enclose text with smart curly quotes. Right now I always have to copy each one (left and right) and paste it into place, and that's after finding them in the first place. I know they can be typed using ALT+number pad but I always forget the codes or get mixed up between which code does what.

pjj

Re: Enclose with smart double quotes / smart single quotes

Post by pjj »

Just add a Text clip: use

Code: Select all

“%sel%”
as its content, attach a shortcut key (I for one use Shitf+Ctrl+') and you're good to go!
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus

primehalo

Post by primehalo »

Thanks for that, definitely faster than the way I've been doing it. I still think it'd be nice to have this in the Enclose drop down list with all the other Enclose in Quotes options.

pjj

Post by pjj »

...with the option to set appropriate style for different tastes:

“English”
”Finnish and Swedish”, »Finnish and Swedish»
« French »
„German“, »German«
„Hungarian, Polish, ...”
«Spanish»
「Japanese」

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus

primehalo

Post by primehalo »

That's a good idea. Having that option at the bottom of that same dropdown menu as opposed to in the settings window would make it easy to switch on the fly. I do sometimes find myself needing to insert Japanese smart quotes so that would be really convenient.

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson »

In v14.30 I've added a new toolbar button to the main toolbar that opens a dropdown menu for enclosing selected text. The dropdown menu is the same dropdown menu as in the user toolbar.

I've added a few other braces like (),[] and {}. And a "More" menu with different quotation marks like “…”, „…“, «…» etc.