DONE: Open Files without modifying Last Opened Files List

Make a request or discuss new features.
rjbill

DONE: Open Files without modifying Last Opened Files List

Post by rjbill »

I don't know if this is possible.

But sometimes I want to open a lot of files to do some work on, or look at, and then they completely
take over my Last Opened Files List (drop-down) and I lose all of my "REAL" Last Opened Files context.
RJTE version 14.64 (actual) - 64-bit
Win 10 Pro 64-bit 8 GB RAM Intel Core i7-6700 3.40 GHz SCSI Hard Drive 1 TB

Note: The signature is dynamic, not static,
so it may not show the correct version above
that was in use at the time of the post.

pjj

Re: Open Files without modifying Last Opened Files List

Post by pjj »

rjbill wrote:
28 Jan 2020 19:25
I don't know if this is possible.
I don't know if you're being facetious or what :-D
rjbill wrote:
28 Jan 2020 19:25
But sometimes I want to open a lot of files to do some work on, or look at, and then they completely
take over my Last Opened Files List (drop-down) and I lose all of my "REAL" Last Opened Files context.
This, in fact, would come in handy sometimes, like a minute ago for me. I addressed the problem by saving and restoring session, though.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus

rjbill

Post by rjbill »

That's one work-around.

It would potentially be difficult to do.

You might be able to have a Special Open that, when used, doesn't modify the Last Opened Files Drop-Down List.

Maybe not so hard to do. But who knows (other than Rickard) what is being done behind the scenes and how easy it would be to implement.

pjj

Post by pjj »

rjbill wrote:
29 Jan 2020 22:01
That's one work-around.
Of course, and I don't deny the feature you're suggesting may be really handy at times, but until it is implemented you might want to benefit from this off-hand solution.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson »

Added an option in the file open dialog window called "Add to MRU". It's always checked by default, but if you uncheck the option you are able to open files without adding them to the MRU list.

Added in v14.40.

pjj

Re: DONE: Open Files without modifying Last Opened Files List

Post by pjj »

But will it let add many files at once, with e.g. drag and drop from a file manager (inner or separate program)? Perhaps a switch on the menu (or a toolbar's icon) would be an useful companion to your solution?

rjbill

Post by rjbill »

Thank You

(I assume the check box always resets to checked each time by default -- just checking -- no need to answer if true)

I rarely use Drag-and-Drop -- didn't think about that.

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson »

But will it let add many files at once, with e.g. drag and drop from a file manager (inner or separate program)? Perhaps a switch on the menu (or a toolbar's icon) would be an useful companion to your solution?
The option to add opened files to the MRU should always be switched on, except for temporary operations like using the file open dialog window. It's difficult to implement with drag n drop by using a qualifier key since they are all taken (CTRL/ALT/SHIFT). A toolbar switch can accidently be forgotten and files are no longer added to the MRU...

pjj

Post by pjj »

Rickard Johansson wrote:
04 Feb 2020 21:08
A toolbar switch can accidently be forgotten and files are no longer added to the MRU...
Let's make another toolbar/menu entry then: Add all open files to MRU 8) Nope, just kidding! Ritalin is teh answer ;)
Rickard Johansson wrote:
04 Feb 2020 21:08
It's difficult to implement with drag n drop by using a qualifier key since they are all taken (CTRL/ALT/SHIFT).
I understand; how about message window "Do you want to add these files to MRU list? y/n", when editor recognizes that e.g. two dozen (or more than user's limit, set in options) files are being d'n'ded?