DONE: request change in file-loading process

Make a request or discuss new features.
DerellLicht1

DONE: request change in file-loading process

Post by DerellLicht1 »

I am having an awkward experience with RJTE...
First off, I have 'Reopen last open documents at startup' enabled...
Anyway, I'm having 'file collection' problem; what I mean is, since files are never automatically closed, I just keep having more and more files open, every time I load something new!!

I would request that RJTE's startup operation to be modified, as such:
If editor is currently closed, and I run it with filename(s) provided:
TextEd filename.cpp filename.h
then it should discard any previous files, and open with *only* the specified files included.

Note that if I want to retain previous files, I will run TextEd with no arguments, as specified by the Reopen option that I mentioned above.

Note that if TextEd is already open, and I do the preceding, then it should continue operating as it currently does.

This is how other editors that I have used, have operated... it is consistent with what my intent will typically be; if I want start working on a new project, I will close the editor, move to a new project folder, and open editor with files for that project.

Possibly, you could condition all of this on having 'Reopen last open documents at startup' enabled;
the editor is already having to change its behavior at startup, when this option is selected...

//************************************************************
I realize that it isn't a big deal for me to close unwanted files in the editor, but it just feels strange; I expect the old-project files to not be present when I open in a new folder.
pjj

Re: request change in file-loading process

Post by pjj »

Do you use projects? I can't imagine working with multiple files without them. You close a project and editor asks if you want its documents closed. When you reopen a project, its files (only these that were open when you closed the project) are opened. Pretty nifty.

And then there are also sessions (File > Sessions) to further help you organize your files.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
DerellLicht1

Post by DerellLicht1 »

pjj wrote: 08 Aug 2021 20:19 Do you use projects? I can't imagine working with multiple files without them. You close a project and editor asks if you want its documents closed. When you reopen a project, its files (only these that were open when you closed the project) are opened. Pretty nifty.

And then there are also sessions (File > Sessions) to further help you organize your files.
No, I don't usually try to manage projects... I'd rather the old files just don't open any more once I'm done with them...
DerellLicht1

Post by DerellLicht1 »

@Richard Johansson:
Is there any chance that you would consider adding this requested feature to the editor??
This really *is* a rather standard feature for programming editors, allowing the user to reset the existing file list when opening a new editor, without having to go through contortions...
DerellLicht1

Post by DerellLicht1 »

Alternately, if that's really too much trouble, could you add a command-line switch (maybe /CLR or something) that clears any existing file history before loading files specified on command line?? Then I can just create a separate macro for running the editor, if I want to clear file history... this wouldn't be quite as natural as handling files as I described previously (as previous editors have done), but it's something I can live with...
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson »

Added a new command-line switch: /NOREOPEN. Which allows you to open the editor (with or without files as parameters) without reopen the last open files. The next time you open the editor, the previously last open files are opened again.

Done in version 15.10 (final).
DerellLicht1

Post by DerellLicht1 »

Rickard Johansson wrote: 27 Aug 2021 10:38 Added a new command-line switch: /NOREOPEN. Which allows you to open the editor (with or without files as parameters) without reopen the last open files. The next time you open the editor, the previously last open files are opened again.

Done in version 15.10 (final).
Wow!! Thank you so much!! I am so grateful for all of your prompt and effective support; RJTE is a joy to work with!!