rjshell requires reboot

Discuss installation issues.
zwayne

rjshell requires reboot

Post by zwayne »

After doing an update of rjtexted I often find that there are serious problems unless I uninstall, reboot, then reinstall. One example: after doing the latest update I found that files weren't loading properly (e.g., couldn't double click on a file and have it open in the editor. There were other problems as well) I wonder if rjshell.dll is the culprit, since it doesn't get deleted on uninstall and various unlocker programs also can't delete it, thus requiring a reboot. I assume that it hooks into explorer, but even if I kill the explorer process I can't delete rjshell.

Is there anything that can be done to change this behavior? As it is, rjtexted is one of the few programs that I use that can't be installed properly without the uninstall, reboot, reinstall dance.

Thanks.

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: rjshell requires reboot

Post by Rickard Johansson »

Which Windows version are you using, where is the program installed and are you logged in as administrator?

zwayne

Post by zwayne »

Windows 7. Installation is in Program Files (x86) and I am an admin.

pjj

Post by pjj »

zwayne wrote:I wonder if rjshell.dll is the culprit, since it doesn't get deleted on uninstall and various unlocker programs also can't delete it, thus requiring a reboot. I assume that it hooks into explorer, but even if I kill the explorer process I can't delete rjshell.
Have you tried Unlocker (64bit version is available, cfr. http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/)? Thing is it shows which program is locking the file you'd like to delete.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson »

The lines in the Innosetup script looks something like this

Code: Select all

Source: c:\...\Install\contextmenu\rjshell.dll; DestDir: {app}; Flags: regserver 32bit restartreplace sharedfile overwritereadonly noregerror promptifolder
Source: c:\...\Install\contextmenu\rjshell64.dll; DestDir: {app}; Check: IsW64; Flags: regserver restartreplace sharedfile overwritereadonly noregerror promptifolder
Which should mean that only older files are overwritten. And I haven't updated those file in a while...

zwayne

Post by zwayne »

pjj wrote:
zwayne wrote:I wonder if rjshell.dll is the culprit, since it doesn't get deleted on uninstall and various unlocker programs also can't delete it, thus requiring a reboot. I assume that it hooks into explorer, but even if I kill the explorer process I can't delete rjshell.
Have you tried Unlocker (64bit version is available, cfr. http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/)? Thing is it shows which program is locking the file you'd like to delete.
Yes, I tried unlocker. It was able to delete rjshell64.dll but not rjshell.dll.