How update portable edition

Discuss installation issues.
Aleks842

How update portable edition

Post by Aleks842 »

How can I update my portable programm and don't loose all my settings? I mean toolbars, styles settings. Should I copy only folders Win32 and Win64?

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: How update portable edition

Post by Rickard Johansson »

You can copy everything except the [Data] folder and the "TextEd.ini" file. Both contain user settings and user data.

micha_he

Post by micha_he »

Or use my updater > here < .

wzol

Post by wzol »

I have a suggestion for this, because maybe it is just me, but I think portable versions should update via copying everything, overwriting everything, and the settings still kept.

The new INI in the zip can have a version in its name.
On startup the application could check if user settings already exist and is there a new versioned INI.
If yes, add the non existent important new parts from the new INI to the current INI or if this is not needed, just skip and remove the new INI.
If no, rename the new versioned name INI to the normal INI name.

This way a portable upgrade can't overwrite user settings, also you'll have a chance to expand the existing user files.

micha_he

Post by micha_he »

But your config in the portable edition, is not only the 'TextEd.ini' !

In addition, there are: Items.ini, FileInfo.xml, Dictionaries, Spell-Dir, Scripts, User definied syntax and so on...

The RJTED-config-files are not strictly separated, between user-defiend and standard/system, not even in the setup-version. I had once suggested, to overlay the user files (appdata) on the basic configuration (programdata/programfiles). So that we didn't copy all files. Should not have been practical !?

Same on portabel: User-config in a seperate folder, config the Programmfolder to use this folder instead of 'appdata'-folder. Possibly that would be all what to do. And the user-config-folder is not overwritten on the update, because it's not in the Archiv.

Maybe in future...

wzol

Post by wzol »

Oh, well in that case yes, a separate folder would be the best for user config files.

I'm just wondering if I miss some part of an update because I've not copied everything from the new version's zip. :?

micha_he

Post by micha_he »

You can use my updater 4 post above. That one copied the most of that files/dirs.
Have you take a look on it?

wzol

Post by wzol »

Please don't take this personal, I'm sure you made an excellent job with the updater, but I'm just a little old-school here, so for me updating a portable application is F5 + overwrite all :) Using a third-party application to update a portable application is weird for me. I'd be much happier if the application could handle this "out-of-the-box".

PS: I tried to download your updater, but it says "The selected attachment does not exist anymore."

pjj

Post by pjj »

wzol wrote:I tried to download your updater, but it says "The selected attachment does not exist anymore."
Yup, see here: http://www.rj-texted.se/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3306
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus

micha_he

Post by micha_he »

I reup it again...

micha_he

Post by micha_he »

wzol wrote:so for me updating a portable application is F5 + overwrite all :)
Yes, my opinion ! Discuss it better with Rickard :)

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Most users only need to copy the folders inside \RJ TextEd, except the "Data" folder (and the files found in there like TextEd.ini). But I agree that we need a simple method to update a portable version. An update tool could work or maybe we need a better readme file with update instructions in several languages...

wzol

Post by wzol »

I'm thinking about what if you update the files which should be skipped on a portable update. Example you add some more useful examples to the Expressions.XML or add functions to the PHPTree.XML. If I skip updating those files I'll never see your additions.

Or worse, you change the format or the filename of any of those files. The updating user who knows "the trick" and skips the folder will have a misconfigured setup. And the user who updates without knowing the trick will lose his settings. :(

Even I lost all my settings 3 times because not knowing the trick - luckily I rather checked the forum than removing the application. But I don't think many users are that patient / tolerant.

PS: No one reads readme files, you know that :)

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

I've created a simple copy and update tool.

I think it should be located in a folder e.g. called "RJ TextEd\Update".
Two text files are included in the folder. One with folders and files that should always be overwritten. And another one with folders and files that should only be copied if they do not already exists.

Would you mind testing it to make sure everything is working correctly?
RJUpdate.zip
(560.73 KiB) Downloaded 368 times

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

I've fixed a few issues and made some visual changes. I also renamed the file.
RJ Update.zip
(564.84 KiB) Downloaded 395 times