How update portable edition

Discuss installation issues.
micha_he

Re: How update portable edition

Post by micha_he »

Maybe it's better, to do this work in a portable Edition-Setup.exe, that contains also the new Version of RJTED.

If the destination folder contains old data, your setup can keep/modify (if it's necessary to insert/delete an additional parameter in a user-configfile) the old user-files...

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson »

I've talked to enough users of the portable version to know they don't want an install script. They want to copy files manually and have control of what they install. Some do not even need a portable version, they just don't like install scripts.

I've renamed the folder and file (again) to "Install and Update -> InstallUpdate.exe". The program can install a new copy to the destination or update an existing one.

I've also added a ReadMe.txt file (that no one reads...) with some simple instructions and a simple explanation of the InstallUpdate.exe program. At least I can tell users that "Actually, there are instructions on how to update the portable version. Please read the files in the Install and Update folder."

micha_he

Post by micha_he »

But, is there a difference between to use a 'install script' and select a empty folder (equivalent to simple unzip) and decompress the actual zip-archive ?

(in the case of an update, use 'install script' with update function and decompress zip and use the seperate 'InstallUpdate.exe' ?)

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Some people just doesn't trust install scripts. It may install things they don't want or add things to the registry (which it actually does). When copying things manually they have control over what is installed.
It's the reason they use the portable version in the first place.

The InstallUpdate.exe file are not meant for users that want to copy things manually, but for those who need a portable version but doesn't want to copy things on there own.

micha_he

Post by micha_he »

Ok! I surrender.

Apps from 'Portable Apps' are always (often) use xxx.paf.exe to decompress the portable app to the destination folder.
And nothing is write to the registry. But I want to end the discussion here...

micha_he

Post by micha_he »

I've tested the InstallUpdate.exe from the portable edition V10.30beta1.

First test V10.20 portable: All 'finished sussesfully'. Different drives, from old portable- and new update-folder !

Test on another pc does not work. Extracted zip and old version of RJTED are in parallel folders, on the same drive.
InstallUpdate doing its job, ended with 'finished successfully'. But the folder still cointains V10.25 after the process !?

Test with two parallel folders on the pc from the first test. Same problem. After Update still exists the old V10.20 !

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

I think it could be a location issue, depending how you select the destination folder. Did you end up with the installed into another sub-folder called RJ TextEd?

E.g. if you tried to copy the files to "...\Documents\t\RJ TextEd" did the files end up in the folder "...\Documents\t\RJ TexEd\RJ TextEd" ?

micha_he

Post by micha_he »

Yes, the selected path has been extended with '...\RJ TextEd' from the portable installer !

Edit: New test on pc1. I've copied the folder in a different drive and start the updater a further times. Nothing, still the old version after successful update-process !?

Edit2: Moment.... There is a new subfolder 'RJ TextEd' in the folder that i selected... I'll test ones again...

Edit3: Yes, found the problem. If the foldername from the portable-edition differs from 'RJ TextEd', then updater extend the path with that foldername and install in a new subfolder !

wzol

Post by wzol »

Same results here.

I have my application here: c:\_progs\RJ_TextEd\
I selected this folder for the updater.
It created a folder inside it, and made a full copy here: c:\_progs\RJ_TextEd\RJ TextEd\
Also said it ended up successfully.

So I renamed my c:\_progs\RJ_TextEd\ to c:\_progs\RJ TextEd\
I selected this folder.
Now it worked :)
/* and I renamed it back :) */

- you could make a check if the \Win32\TextEd.exe exist in the selected directory, that way you'll know that it is the right folder

- also thank you for the updater, the result is much better this way, but I have a suggestion:

What do you think about that the "no overwrite" files should be in a different directory in the zip, like "_update".
The app at startup could check if this dir exists - if it does, it copies the files to their place without overwrite, removes this dir and restarts.

This way a normal unpack, overwrite all would work, also no updater is needed.