some settings overwritten after installation

Discuss installation issues.
jerry1970

some settings overwritten after installation

Post by jerry1970 »

I usually get a new version using the installation type. This time, I copied the non-install version into the folder. Most of the times, some settings are overwritten. This time, the skins were switched on, while I always switch off skins.

Which settings are overwritten when I use the install or non-install version?

Jerry

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson »

The install and portable versions are not compatible. The data is stored in different places, including the settings. The installed version store data in <...AppliacationData\RJ TextEd\> while the portable version store data in the same folder as the executable. This to make it easier to use from e.g. flash memory card.

(The installed version also save some data in the registry, the portable version does not)

jerry1970

Post by jerry1970 »

Rickard Johansson wrote:The install and portable versions are not compatible. The data is stored in different places, including the settings. The installed version store data in <...AppliacationData\RJ TextEd\> while the portable version store data in the same folder as the executable. This to make it easier to use from e.g. flash memory card.

(The installed version also save some data in the registry, the portable version does not)
Hey I didn't know that... Maybe you should have this as a setting?

I mostly prefer installers so things get in the right place, but I don't like programs using the ApplicationData folder and registry when it's not necessary.

Jerry