Uninstalling previous version of Firefox preview control

Discuss installation issues.
epement

Uninstalling previous version of Firefox preview control

Post by epement »

On your web site at http://www.rj-texted.se/download.htm you say this:
Firefox preview

To enable the firefox preview tab, you need to install the XULRunner mozilla control.
Download it from here.
Unpack the zip-file into a suitable folder. To install the control open a command prompt and write:

Code: Select all

regsvr32 mozctlx.dll
If you have an old mozilla control installed, please un-install it first.
Are you referring to uninstalling the Mozilla ActiveX Controls? On my Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, I have options to remove Mozilla ActiveX Control v1.7.1 and also v1.7.12.

Is this what you mean by uninstall the "old mozilla control", or are you referring to uninstalling an earlier version of the XUL Runner control?

Also, is it really necessary to download an 8.6 MB zip file for XULRunner just to obtain an 11 KB file for mozctrlx.dll ? Can I erase the rest of the files in that archive?

Thanks in advance.

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson »

I would recommend you to uninstall Mozilla ActiveX Control v1.7.1 and v1.7.12.

XULRunner may not be necessary if you have Firefox installed. It may be enough to just copy the mozctrlx.dll to the Mozilla Firefox folder and register it using Regsvr32. I haven't tried it though and I don't think it's possible to download this file only. Most of the files included in the XULRunner package (or Firefox folder) are probably necessary.