FIXED: I have a new crash for you!!

Report issues, odd behaviors or submit a detailed bug report.
DerellLicht1

FIXED: I have a new crash for you!!

Post by DerellLicht1 »

I'm using RJTE 15.60 64bit, Windows 10 Pro

I opened an html file, 6.7MBytes in size; this is a saved page from facebook. The page initially opened just fine, but when I tried to search for some text in the file (specifically, the word 'matters', toward end of file), RJTE just sort of went nutty...

It hasn't actually *crashed*, and if I click outside of this file (on another tab for some other document), it eventually switches pages, and is working fine as long as I don't go back to the html file... but within that file, it just does bonkers things; cursor starts jumping around in the file, the search itself took a couple of minutes to complete, and then when it *did* complete, I could not actually click within the file...

BTW, I can get this same effect by opening the file, and then repeatedly hitting PgDn until I get toward that area in the file, then these same effects begin happening...

anyway, I'll let you look at it; I'm guessing you'll see the same things that I do... :shock:

Note: I tested this page in two other programmer's editors as well, and they handled it fine, so I don't think there's anything actually lethal in the file...
Attachments
crash_on_htm_file.zip
(2.79 MiB) Downloaded 85 times
pjj

Re: I have a new crash for you!!

Post by pjj »

What I find interesting is that if you rename this file to e.g. *.xml, open it and then change highlighter to HTML, it becomes quite responsive; opening it as it is, i.e. with htm extension, for me makes the editor unresponsive for good (or maybe just for some time and I'm not patient enough?).
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
DerellLicht1

Post by DerellLicht1 »

pjj wrote: 22 Aug 2022 18:43 What I find interesting is that if you rename this file to e.g. *.xml, open it and then change highlighter to HTML, it becomes quite responsive; opening it as it is, i.e. with htm extension, for me makes the editor unresponsive for good (or maybe just for some time and I'm not patient enough?).
Yep, it'll respond after about 1 minute or so... but every time you click on anything, you get another timeout. Also, when I try to switch to another window, in some cases it pops up two or three empty rectangular boxes in the window; no idea what messages were supposed to be there!!

Later note to @pjj :
Well, even after renaming it to Facebook objects.xml, while it is true that the failure mechanisms are no longer present, cursor is still *very* slow to respond... and that's on my new upper-mid-range gaming machine... so I suspect that at least part of the issue is that it isn't entirely happy with a 6.7MB file...
Last edited by DerellLicht1 on 22 Aug 2022 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
DerellLicht1

Post by DerellLicht1 »

As a side note, there was originally a subdirectory associated with this file; it contained all the standard .css files and miscellany. I deleted that subdirectory to save space, but wanted to note that even with the subdirectory present, this issue still occurred, so the absence of that folder is not related to this issue...
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson »

Fixed in next release (v15.61). Thanks!
DerellLicht1

Re: FIXED: I have a new crash for you!!

Post by DerellLicht1 »

Wow!!! You are truly amazing... I was afraid this one was going to be a real headache!!!