FIXED? (S)FTP connections not auto re-connected upon saving remotely

Report issues, odd behaviors or submit a detailed bug report.
inspector71

FIXED? (S)FTP connections not auto re-connected upon saving remotely

Post by inspector71 »

Hello

Twice over the last two days I've noted a problem saving remotely. Randomly - or perhaps simply due to some sort of timeout / drop in the SFTP session that AFAIK RJTE maintains in the background (until it's not, which seems to be caused by more than this/one scenario, I think) - the connection appears to die and trying to save a file produces the seemingly generic files did not save properly message. Instead of just prompting to renew the SFTP connection ... or better still, remembering per-file/tab which SFTP profile was used to open the file and transparently, automatically reestablishing any broken connection and just save the ruddy file as expected.

Be great if this could be looked into as SFTP problems, though fewer and far between than in the past, have a nasty habit of crasheezing the app to the point of requiring Task Manager End Task killing. Although in the two occasions I mentioned, only once was the impact that drastic.
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: (S)FTP connections not auto re-connected upon saving remotely

Post by Rickard Johansson »

Actually, the default behavior, when saving a remote file, is to open a new connection, save the file and close the connection. But if a connection is already available (FTP panel) then that one is used instead.

I've changed it in the next release so a new connection is always created. Even if you're connected using the FTP panel.
inspector71

Re: (S)FTP connections not auto re-connected upon saving remotely

Post by inspector71 »

Thanks for respecting this feedback and looking into it Rickard.
Rickard Johansson wrote: 08 Sep 2022 18:02 Actually, the default behavior, when saving a remote file, is to open a new connection, save the file and close the connection. But if a connection is already available (FTP panel) then that one is used instead.

I've changed it in the next release so a new connection is always created. Even if you're connected using the FTP panel.
Would that be an additional or Nary connection created, with any existing FTP panel-initiated connection remaining active (unless it times out or whatnot) ?
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: FIXED? (S)FTP connections not auto re-connected upon saving remotely

Post by Rickard Johansson »

A new connection is opened to save the file, and then immediately closed. Always.
inspector71

Re: FIXED? (S)FTP connections not auto re-connected upon saving remotely

Post by inspector71 »

Thanks for clarifying :)