FIXED: WHOA!! Major syntax-hiliting collapse !!

Report issues, odd behaviors or submit a detailed bug report.
DerellLicht1

FIXED: WHOA!! Major syntax-hiliting collapse !!

Post by DerellLicht1 »

Okay, no idea what is going on here...
I have RJTE V15.80 Beta 1 (64-bit)

Everything was fine this morning... I was tweaking options to try to solve the problem that I had in another thread ("How to turn off library hints??")...
I then set the auto-complete delay to -1, which seemed to have solved that problem...

But somewhere along the way, the syntax hiliting in my C++ files has completely collapsed!!
I'm enclosing an image of the auto-complete options that I've been tweaking, as well as an image of what I'm seeing in my C++ code now...
Please note, first of all, that the open and close parens have different colors; the bright magenta at the end, is the color that I actually have set; No idea where the yellow on the opening paren came from...

I *think* that this problem popped up about when I set the auto-complete delay to -1 ... however, setting it back to 1000ms made no difference...
In fact, at this point *nothing* makes any difference !!!

Any idea what went wrong?? Will I need to delete RJTE and re-install, losing all my settings history?? YIKES !!!
options.jpg
options.jpg (78.05 KiB) Viewed 987 times
failed syntax hl.jpg
failed syntax hl.jpg (70.8 KiB) Viewed 987 times
DerellLicht1

Re: WHOA!! Major syntax-hiliting collapse !!

Post by DerellLicht1 »

Actually, now that I look carefully at that previous thread ("How to turn off library hints??"), I realize that the opening braces on those lines were *already* wrong there... so now I'm completely confused about what is going on...
DerellLicht1

Post by DerellLicht1 »

Well... okay, I recovered from this, and all is well now... no idea what the H$*@ happened...

Anyway, I have a backup of RJTE config directory, from a month or so back...
It contains TextEd.ini, plus Syntax and Data directories...

So I closed RJTE, copied the backup files over the current stuff, re-opened the editor, and everything is just fine...
I changed the auto-completion time to -1 (but didn't change *anything* else!!), and my issue is fixed, and nothing else is broken...
So I don't know *what* I nuked before, but it's fine now!!
pjj

Post by pjj »

Sometimes -- haphazardly -- syntax highlighting turns itself off in a part of a document. Usually adding new line (by hitting Enter key) after the last line with correct highlighting fixes the issue for me. But I noticed another glitch in the newest beta: double-clicking on a word inside round or square brackets at first highlights the word only, but then -- the whole string inside the brackets. Was it introduced by the new way of highlighting braces?

Btw, do you remember which braces were highlighted in the previous versions? Right now the closest external (with regard to caret) braces are highlighted, so in the sample code below
if ($x === 'A') {
$x = strtolower|($x);
}
placing the caret | just before the opening round brace highlights curly braces (I marked them in red) and not parentheses, which I think would be more helpful (and was the previous style, if my memory serves me well). I may be wrong with respect to how it worked before and what's more helpful, though.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
DerellLicht1

Post by DerellLicht1 »

pjj wrote: 05 Feb 2023 13:42 Sometimes -- haphazardly -- syntax highlighting turns itself off in a part of a document. Usually adding new line (by hitting Enter key) after the last line with correct highlighting fixes the issue for me. But I noticed another glitch in the newest beta: double-clicking on a word inside round or square brackets at first highlights the word only, but then -- the whole string inside the brackets. Was it introduced by the new way of highlighting braces?

Btw, do you remember which braces were highlighted in the previous versions?
Actually, apparently the mis-matched paren colors had been present for awhile, and I just didn't notice it...
In my previous post "How to turn off library hints??", the error was already present...

However, the issue of the entire syntax highliting being lost at some point, popped up suddenly while I was experimenting with auto-completion settings... very strange... anyway, it's all back to normal now - which just means that the land-mine is still sitting there somewhere, waiting to be stepped on!! :-D
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson »

The highlight issue in Cpp files has been reported by several users and has been fixed in the next release (v15.80 beta 2).
DerellLicht1

Post by DerellLicht1 »

Rickard Johansson wrote: 05 Feb 2023 15:38 The highlight issue in Cpp files has been reported by several users and has been fixed in the next release (v15.80 beta 2).
Excellent!!! Thank ye again, Master!!