Fixed: jumping cursor issue (very sporadic)

Report issues, odd behaviors or submit a detailed bug report.
DerellLicht1

Fixed: jumping cursor issue (very sporadic)

Post by DerellLicht1 »

I have a weird bug that has recently popped up in the editor; I *think* it is only since the most-recent update...
Sadly, I cannot reproduce it on demand, it only happens occasionally, so it may not be fixable until I can pin it down...

What will happen is, I'll be typing something, I'll type a character in a word, then when I type the next character, the cursor jumps past back before one character and then keeps going normally...

It happened a couple of times yesterday in C++ files; in one case, I was typing != but got =! ...
Then just now I was typing a note in my rjtexted.tips.txt file, I went to type Open, but got penO ...

Sometimes it will keep doing this over and over, other times (such as with the Open example), it only does it once; when I correct the error, it doesn't recur. It is *very* odd...

I also *think* that I previously experienced this, and @Rickard either found and fixed the issue, or told me something to do to fix it, but that was long ago and I don't recall the details.

Has anyone else seen anything like this??
Last edited by DerellLicht1 on 23 Aug 2023 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: jumping cursor issue (very sporadic)

Post by Rickard Johansson »

I can't find anything suspicious in the code or otherwise.

Are you by any chance using a laptop? The touchpad on mine sometimes drives me crazy :evil:
DerellLicht1

Re: jumping cursor issue (very sporadic)

Post by DerellLicht1 »

Rickard Johansson wrote: 01 Jul 2023 13:56 I can't find anything suspicious in the code or otherwise.

Are you by any chance using a laptop? The touchpad on mine sometimes drives me crazy :evil:
Nope, this isn't on a laptop, it's my desktop machine...
It is very odd; I'm sure there is some specific action that triggers this, but I haven't yet been able to nail it down...
and in most cases, if I backspace over the erroneous text and re-type exactly the same thing, it does not recur!!

I'll keep watching for this, and if I can find a repeatable situation, I'll update this thread.
DerellLicht1

New data: jumping cursor issue (very sporadic)

Post by DerellLicht1 »

Okay!! I finally have a file where this issue is occurring repeatable...
I will include the file here, and hope that it does this for Rickard as well...

If I go to line 9, position the cursor right under the 3 in 305, then start typing 306,
The 3 enters properly, but then the cursor jumps in *front* of the 3 as I continue typing, so I get 063 instead of 306...

BTW, I have both "Allow text cursor beyond end of line" and "Keep trailing spaces" set in Options; don't know if that is relevant here...

Later note: well, I don't seem to be able to attach resource.h to this message; it keeps saying 'invalid file extension'... even if I rename it to .txt, it still says that...
so let me try it this way; I hope it still has whatever is wrong in it...
https://www.derelllicht.com/files/resource.h

@rickard ; I don't know if you saw this new data or not??