YES
50%
NO, Then why?
50%

Total votes: 4

abushcrafter

Use 7z Not Zip!

Post by abushcrafter »

Hi there. Just a quick thought. Can you please use the open source 7zip achieve format instead of the noramal zip as its rubbish. (This will save you on bandwidth. Hint Hint :wink:)

Home of 7z

Features Of The Format

vha

Post by vha »

If you use InnoSetup, then it will automatically use 7-zip because that is what InnoSetup uses internally to minimize the size of the setup.exe (without having to install 7-zip on your system)

And the problem with using 7-zip is that it is by default not recognized by the OS if you don't have 7-zip installed.

The zip format is recognized by the OS (Windows XP and more)

vha

abushcrafter

Post by abushcrafter »

vha wrote:If you use InnoSetup, then it will automatically use 7-zip because that is what InnoSetup uses internally to minimize the size of the setup.exe (without having to install 7-zip on your system)
Didn't know that but I was "typing" about the portable version.
vha wrote: And the problem with using 7-zip is that it is by default not recognized by the OS if you don't have 7-zip installed.

The zip format is recognized by the OS (Windows XP and more)
Yes but its a pain to use and not advanced. Where as the 7zip app is, and it supports other formats. How ever I personally recommend peazip which is even more advanced (EG. More formats, icons and other very useful tools.) .

fred

Post by fred »

I use 7-zip also to open zip files.
For myself i use 7-zip format but if i have to use it for other i use the zip format.
But i think that people who use a editor to write programs/websites also know how to use zip or 7-zip.