DONE: Find all results to receive instant focus

Make a request or discuss new features.
yereverluvinuncleber

DONE: Find all results to receive instant focus

Post by yereverluvinuncleber » 09 Aug 2018 03:05

When you used the "find in files" tab to find all the occurrences of a string within a number of files it presents the found file list in the search results feedback area below. Each occurrence of the found string is shown in the search area below the filename.

You can double-click on any of the filenames to open the selected file in the panel above which will the show the contents of the file starting at the top of the file.

I would suggest that when the filename is clicked upon in this way for the very first time it does not just open the file at the top of the file (rather pointless) but instead the panel above displays the first string occurrence found in the file. Taking you directly to the first occurrence potentially removes a click, speeding a search up a little (always good) but takes you conveniently to the first occurrence of the string in each and every file you select. That is my first suggestion.

Second suggestion: I am unsure whether it is necessary to double-click a file in the list to open it, surely a single point and click would certainly save another click, save time and make the whole search process that much more slick and easy. The same with each and every occurrence of the string, at the moment each must be double-clicked upon to take you to that part of the code. Lots of double-clicking which makes searching in RJ so much more unwieldy that a single click would remove. A configuration option for a single-click perhaps?

Your thoughts please as to the replacement of the double-clicking and a definite feature request for automatically showing the first found string in each file.
Noli pati a scelestis opprimi...

You can find me on Deviantart https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/gallery/

yereverluvinuncleber

Re: REQUEST: Find all results to receive instant focus

Post by yereverluvinuncleber » 20 Nov 2018 10:38

I think this would be useful - so a gentle bump.

You can find me on Deviantart https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/gallery/

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: REQUEST: Find all results to receive instant focus

Post by Rickard Johansson » 20 Nov 2018 14:56

Added in next release (v13.50). Thanks!

yereverluvinuncleber

Re: DONE: Find all results to receive instant focus

Post by yereverluvinuncleber » 21 Nov 2018 12:35

Rickard - your responsiveness to requests is impressive. Appreciated.

yereverluvinuncleber

Post by yereverluvinuncleber » 24 Nov 2018 14:43

Tested - working as requested. Your efforts on improving search have made it much more slick in operation. Since I started using RJTed the whole process has been overhauled and a multi-file search is now... well, all the clunkiness has been removed and it feels a joy to use.

primehalo

Post by primehalo » 18 Jul 2019 21:21

Would it be possible to make this single-click feature optional? Or is there already an option to turn it off? I looked around in the options and didn't see anything. I certainly understand why this feature would help many people but I don't always want to immediately open the file that I'm clicking on and find myself with a lot of files opened that I did not intend to open.

For me, I often click on a line in the search results just to mark my current place while I go off and then look at something else. With this single click I end up with a lot of opened files I did not intend to open. Also, I often found it easier to double click on the file to expand the search results rather than hitting the little arrow off to the right. Now just a single click on the file opens it in the editor which is usually not my intent.

I don't want to take away the option for those that use it but would love a way to turn this off.

rfresh737

Post by rfresh737 » 03 Oct 2019 18:19

I'm using ver 14.10 and when I click on a line in the search window, it does not take me to the line in the file. Nothing happens when I single click except the search line highlights. I still have to double click to get to that line in the file.

I also argee it would be a nice option to allow us to choose to use a single or double click.