Version 13.90

Information about the next release of RJ TextEd.
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Version 13.90

Post by Rickard Johansson » 28 Apr 2019 13:58

I've written my own version of Emmet in Delphi (object pascal) code. It's not based on the Emmet plugin code at all, so there are some minor differences and probably some things not implemented (yet).
The Delphi version is compiled to native machine code which makes it much much faster. And it enables me to add some new functionality.

New in this version:

Abbreviation auto completion list
Press ALT+ENTER to display all available abbreviations from the text clips panel, Emmet snippets and Emmet abbreviations in a list.
Emmet01.png
Emmet01.png (13.18 KiB) Viewed 915 times
Press ENTER to select an abbreviation. It's inserted as is and not expanded. This allows you to combine abbreviations and snippets to create your own abbreviation.
To expand the abbreviation - press SHIFT+ENTER.

Abbreviation hint
Press SHIFT+CTRL+ENTER to show a hint displaying what the expanded code will look like.
Emmet02.png
Emmet02.png (7.11 KiB) Viewed 915 times
To expand the abbreviation you can just press ENTER (as long as the hint is visible). You can also use SHIFT+ENTER to expand the abbreviation.

Expand abbreviation at cursor
This function will now expand both user defined abbreviations in the text clip panel and Emmet abbreviations.
Type an abbreviation in your document. E.g. "ul>li*5" in an HTML document or "for" in a PHP document. Press SHIFT+ENTER to expand the abbreviation.
If you set a key as a trigger - you can use that as well to expand the abbreviation. E.g. the TAB key.

Note that you can use SHIFT+CTRL+ENTER to preview the abbreviation before expanding it.

Expand abbreviation using input box
Added a hint that is displayed as you type the abbreviation, so you can preview the result.
Open as normal with CTRL+, and enter your abbreviation inside. A hint pops up showing the expanded code.
Emmet03.png
Emmet03.png (1.88 KiB) Viewed 915 times
The hint is displayed when you wrap with abbreviations (SHIFT+CTRL+,) as well.

Tab points
Move the text cursor to the next tab position using the TAB key.

A tab point can look something like this: {#1} or {#2: Document}.

If the tab point contain text e.g. {#2: Document} contain the text "Document", it will be selected when moving to the tab position.

I still have some testing to do, some features to add and bugs to fix. I'll release a beta version maybe next week.

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: Version 13.90

Post by Rickard Johansson » 29 Apr 2019 19:24

Made some changes and added favorites as well.

Favorites are display at the top of the abbreviation auto complete list (ALT+ENTER).
Emmet01.png
Emmet01.png (11.83 KiB) Viewed 887 times
Manage favorites in the abbreviation input box (CTRL+,).
Emmet04.png
Emmet04.png (7.93 KiB) Viewed 887 times

yereverluvinuncleber

Post by yereverluvinuncleber » 30 Apr 2019 09:52

It is a clever and useful addition Rickard, I particularly like the pop-up that shows you how the resulting code will look. An impressive addition. I can see myself using it some time in the future and will let you know how it goes.

I have previously always used a dedicated HTML editor such as NVU or Frontpage but I have found myself doing less and less HTML editing as time goes by. Next time I delve into HTML I will try out your Emmett addition.
Noli pati a scelestis opprimi...

You can find me on Deviantart https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/gallery/

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson » 30 Apr 2019 10:22

Thanks! Maybe I should point out that user defined abbreviations can be used with almost all programming languages (set in the text clips panel). Not just HTML.
The Emmet abbeviations and snippets are defined in a file and are available for HTML, XML, XSLT, SVG, CSS, LESS and SASS. And some other langauges that use the HTML highlighter, like PHP.

I realize that most people don't use abbreviations that much, but for the few that does - it's become much easier to use, I think.
I have previously always used a dedicated HTML editor such as NVU or Frontpage ...
Frontpage - that brings back memories... It's the first program I ever used to create web pages. I always had some issues with it though (things didn't end up where I wanted them to). I know people said it produced horrible HTML code, but I didn't see it myself until I learned HTML, CSS and Javascript. Once I learned to make web pages manually - I never used it again :)
Do you still have it installed?

yereverluvinuncleber

Post by yereverluvinuncleber » 30 Apr 2019 17:03

Good to know that Emmett is useful for other languages too, I'll give it a go.

Frontpage? As I know it so well I would use it by default for HTML editing just as I would go to an old wooden-handed chisel that I know cuts well. I have no more affection for it than that. I liked the way it could operate split-screen showing you the design and the exact portion of the code simultaneously (just as firebug in firefox does). I liked to be able to see my site running on the touch of an f5 key just as I used to do so on VB6.

I also used the framed menu-generating functionality it had that could take a structural folder layout change that affected the menus and reflect that down through thousands of web-pages. I think it was done using some non-standard MS trickery.

I do still have Frontpage installed on my old (but much faster-running) Windows XP box as Frontpage was designed for XP. It was a struggle to install on Win7, the last time I tried, I failed, so on my last attempt I switched to NVU. I also had dreamweaver but it seemed such a bloated overkill for some HTML coding and design.

I also paid the full price for FrontPage as I did for VB6 PRofessional. The last money that Microsoft has ever had from me when they made both tools obsolete shortly afterwards with no upgrade path that was usable.

I can't quite believe it but you can buy an original copy of FP 2003 today for the same price I paid for it back then. https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-FrontP ... B0000AZJV8

I realise I have spent a lot of money on editors and IDEs in the past (when I was rich) and now I have RJTextEd and it is free. I will push some cash your way as soon as I have any!
Noli pati a scelestis opprimi...

You can find me on Deviantart https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/gallery/

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson » 13 May 2019 11:01

This version has been released and is available at https://www.rj-texted.se/download.html.