Suggestion: parser based on Sublime Text syntax files

Make a request or discuss new features.
Alextp

Suggestion: parser based on Sublime Text syntax files

Post by Alextp » 10 Jun 2019 21:54

ST3 has format of "lexers", .sublime-syntax (new one) and old one. Do you think it's possible to write open source parser (so I can check it too and fix bugs) based on ST3 syntax files?
If it's done we can use LOT of ST3 syntax files from https://packagecontrol.io/browse/labels ... e%20syntax

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion: parser based on Sublime Text syntax files

Post by Rickard Johansson » 11 Jun 2019 10:51

Do you mean we should create a converter utility to convert Sublime syntax files into RJ TextEd syntax files?

I only took a quick look at it, but the syntax files are so different I'm not sure it's possible. It's probably easier to create syntax files from scratch, or use an old one as template for a new one.

Alextp

Post by Alextp » 11 Jun 2019 12:13

Not to convert syntax files. but write Pascal code, engine, to tokenize source code USING these syntax files. Ie make a new parser for you and me.

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson » 11 Jun 2019 13:55

Well, I don't feel that I need a new one :)

Writing a source code editor and syntax files is usually done side by side. Everyone has their own idea of how things should be done - so syntax files differ a lot between editors. I actually think it's a bad idea to start with existing syntax files and create a parser or editor based on them. You'll just end up feeling frustrated about the "limitations" in the syntax files and regret things you wont be able to do differently.