FIXED: Auto-select/highlight search field on Ctrl+F

Make a request or discuss new features.
primehalo

FIXED: Auto-select/highlight search field on Ctrl+F

Post by primehalo » 21 Jul 2019 19:24

I'm using the search bar, and if there is text in the search field when hitting Ctrl+F then it gets selected/highlighted unless there is some text selected within the document. In that case, whatever is selected in the document gets put into the search field and the cursor appears at the end of the field. I would like to have the text that gets put into the field be selected/highlighted so that if I pasted something or start typing something to search for I don't have to go back and delete the text that was already in the field.

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: Auto-select/highlight search field on Ctrl+F

Post by Rickard Johansson » 25 Jul 2019 12:05

You can change the behavior in options (Options -> Search).

primehalo

Re: SOLVED: Auto-select/highlight search field on Ctrl+F

Post by primehalo » 25 Jul 2019 16:41

Which search option changes this? I have "Use selected text as search string" enabled which is the behavior I want. If that's the one you were referring to then I believe you misinterpreted my request. When text is selected and I press Ctrl+F I want the selected text to appear in the search bar, but I also want that text in the search bar to be selected so that if I start typing it will be erased and whatever I type will show up. Instead, the cursor is appearing at the end of the text so that when I start typing or if I paste something in the search field, whatever it is gets appended to the end instead of overwriting the search bar text. It makes for many failed searches when I don't notice this happening. I recorded a little video to illustrate what I'm talking about:

https://youtu.be/MMYZ06IkVYc

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: FIXED: Auto-select/highlight search field on Ctrl+F

Post by Rickard Johansson » 26 Jul 2019 12:20

I've fixed it in v14.10. Thanks!