What is wrong with the find and replace dialogs?

Ask how to do things or if a certain feature is available in the program.
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: What is wrong with the find and replace dialogs?

Post by Rickard Johansson » 13 Sep 2019 09:19

I'll add step by step find/replace on all open documents in the next release (v14.20). It should be fairly simple to implement.

Do we need to make changes to the scope options to tell the editor where to start (first tab, the current tab, from cursor position ...)?

inspector71

Post by inspector71 » 13 Sep 2019 11:11

Rickard Johansson wrote:
13 Sep 2019 09:19
I'll add step by step find/replace on all open documents in the next release (v14.20). It should be fairly simple to implement.

Do we need to make changes to the scope options to tell the editor where to start (first tab, the current tab, from cursor position ...)?
Holy shoot! Super exciting :) Great to hear you feel it would be relatively easy to implement.

I would suggest the easiest, most instinctive choice would be to default to start with the current file and 'loop' around through all open tabs/files from there. For clarity:

- User is on tab 6 of 13 when they hit Ctrl + F or Ctrl + R (or use their preferred menu option, etc) ...
- the step by step starts from tab/file 6, then progresses to 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and then to 1 (or 0?), 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

The (dare I say it!) sexiest way, to me, would be to start from the cursor position, go through all the tabs/files, come back to - in the above example - the top of tab/file 6 and then finish the whole process where the cursor position started.

However, I realise that might be a bit funky to implement and maybe not everyone's cop o' tea. So yeah I guess the option to start the search from the beginning/top of the current tab/file would be in keeping with the other search modes.

Would it help if I drew up some example wireframe style interface mock ups to illustrate the suggestions above?

FWIW, if it was not too tricky to implement, I can see the simplicity in having an option to start from the first tab/file. I expect that's slightly less confusing for some people in terms of the UX mental model. However it's also relatively obvious, as long as the next/active tab/file is scrolled into view on the tabbar (I've used apps where this doesn't happen and as a user I literally had to guess that the app was working on the first of X out-of-view tabs/files to the left and scroll manually to reveal/confirm what was going on) so users can follow visually what's going on.

Thank you for being so open to feedback. I truly believe that is what makes a great app. I mean, I do not expect democratic app development where every single feature is vote upon or whatnot. But being open to feedback and some suggestions really makes a difference to the feel and experience of using great software.

yereverluvinuncleber

Post by yereverluvinuncleber » 13 Sep 2019 12:07

Agreed!
Noli pati a scelestis opprimi...

You can find me on Deviantart https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/gallery/

pjj

Post by pjj » 13 Sep 2019 13:21

inspector71 wrote:
13 Sep 2019 11:11
However, I realise that might be a bit funky to implement and maybe not everyone's cop o' tea.

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist! 8) ...or rather Image
inspector71 wrote:
So yeah I guess the option to start the search from the beginning/top of the current tab/file would be in keeping with the other search modes.

Would it help if I drew up some example wireframe style interface mock ups to illustrate the suggestions above?
Please remember we can have up to six document views, so there should be a way to narrow down scope to just one (current) view.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus

inspector71

Post by inspector71 » 14 Sep 2019 03:21

pjj wrote:
13 Sep 2019 13:21
inspector71 wrote:
However, I realise that might be a bit funky to implement and maybe not everyone's cop o' tea.

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist! 8) ...or rather Image
LOL
inspector71 wrote:
So yeah I guess the option to start the search from the beginning/top of the current tab/file would be in keeping with the other search modes.

Please remember we can have up to six document views, so there should be a way to narrow down scope to just one (current) view.
[/quote]

That's a very good point. I'd suggest the scope should always be limited to the current view, if possible. I don't tend to use multiple views very much. Oddly perhaps, it frustrates me that the 'right side' second pane is kept in sync with the left one when the same file is open in both. Sometimes I need to look at a different section of the file whilst working on another section.

So I guess multiple views are a little out of my thoughts. Glad you remembered them.