Confused by which file version I am working on

Ask how to do things or if a certain feature is available in the program.
rfresh737

Confused by which file version I am working on

Post by rfresh737 » 03 Oct 2019 01:43

I really like this editor but I've never seen such a confusing design when opening up a file and FTPing it up to my server.

Here is the PROBLEM with this file design:

1. I created a project and see all my files listed in the project.
2. Because I did an FTP upload, I see the full path at the top of the editor and it's the path on my remote server. Try as hard as I can, I CANNOT get my local file to show up there. It seems I am always working on the remote server copy of a file and I DO NOT want to work that way.
3. I make a change to my file and do an FTP upload. My disk icon shows a save operation (but not saved on my local so I'm guessing it means it was saved to my remote server). This is redundant as I have just manually done an FTP upload so I KNOW the server has the latest copy.
4. I quit the editor.
5. I open the editor to a blank document screen, so I double click on my file from the project and it opens. but it is NOT the last saved version. Very bad news.
6. The last saved version is on the server. So now my local file is out of sync/out of date.

I've NEVER seen such a design in my 20 years of programming with a lot of editors. I expect to be able to open a local file, do an FTP upload and when I do a save, or when the FTP upload saves the file, I EXPECT my local file to be saved and ALWAYS the master file. Not the file on the server.

If this is the way you designed it to work, then you have baffled me completely. I have no confidence to use this editor now because I am not used to working this way. I am used to the Saves saving to my local and this is not happening.

Can anyone tell me how to make FTP saves save locally I would like to configure it to work that way.

Thank you...

rfresh737

Re: Confused by which file version I am working on

Post by rfresh737 » 03 Oct 2019 01:59

I see if I open a local file, the path at the top shows the local path. But as soon as I FTP the file up, that path changes to AppData/Roaming path. How can I stop that from happening?

I'm not doing any builds or compiles as I am only doing web programming and uploading my files.

yereverluvinuncleber

Post by yereverluvinuncleber » 05 Oct 2019 09:42

If I were you and I was worried I would use the RJTxted editor to edit files and a tool such as WinScp to perform transfers. RJTxted is a superb editor and WINSCP is a superb FTP tool. I have never used the in-built FTP functionality of any editor as I prefer my tools to be the master of a single task (editing or FTP) rather than a "jack of all trades" and a master on none.

You wouldn't try to seriously edit using an FTP tool would you?
Noli pati a scelestis opprimi...

You can find me on Deviantart https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/gallery/

rfresh737

Post by rfresh737 » 05 Oct 2019 13:30

The built-in FTP is excellent because I can FTP upload with one hotkey press.

I have solved my current file problem by using a file sync tool. It essentially syncs (downloads) the files on my server to the folder where I keep my master files on my local PC. I always open files from this master file location for my project.

In the mean time, I have communicated to Rickard that it would be helpful if we had an option to turn off the feature of using the appData\Roaming path to store our active files once we have opened them up to start working. He said he would have a look at this for the next release. In other words, if I open a file from folder C:\Projects\Tinyjetapps then I would like the editor to keep that path as I work on the file. That way, when I FTP the file up to the server, it saves the file to the same folder, keeping it up to date.