Request: auto-reload changed files?

Make a request or discuss new features.
DerellLicht

Request: auto-reload changed files?

Post by DerellLicht »

When a file is open in RJTE, and then gets modified by some other external program, there is an option "warn if document was changed...".

If I select this, I definitely get the warning dialog - repeatedly; there's no 'always do this' option in the dialog.
If I de-select this, I don't get a warning, and RJTE does *not* automatically reload the file.
I have to use Menu:reload_current_document.

There are several situations where I will have a file that is open in my editor, but is modified by other programs.
I would *much* prefer that the modified document be automatically reloaded by the editor when it is changed externally.

Is there any chance of getting this option added to RJTE ??

pjj

Re: Request: auto-reload changed files?

Post by pjj »

Please see this thread, perhaps the answer to your question is already there.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus

DerellLicht

Post by DerellLicht »

Well... that would have worked, if it worked... but it doesn't.

I loaded the file (_lint.tmp), and selected 'Monitor current file'...
I tried this both *with* and *without* 'Follow tail' selected (though it makes no sense in this file; the changes are *not* all at the tail of the file).
In all cases, when the file is changed externally, I see a RED mark on the tab, but the file does *not* reload automatically...

BTW, the arguments in that other thread, are *not* accurate nor relevant for me; I am a professional firmware engineer, with more than 30 years in the field. It is *very* common for me to have many files open in my editor; 10-15 files is quite common, on a work project; these files often remain open in the editor for days or even weeks at a time!! It is also *quite* common for me to do bulk changes across multiple files, using an external grep program (I have used HisGrepship, for over a decade now). It should be *obvious* here, that I want all the changed files automatically reloaded in my primary editor, just as it should be obvious that I will still expect to be able to edit the files in that primary editor even after the grep change have been made...

pjj

Post by pjj »

I suggest you file bug report, then. As for the feature request, I guess Rickard will look into it eventually.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus

micha_he

Post by micha_he »

Here at me it follows the new appended lines! (V14.60b3) but it seems, that remove a line at the end not work.