Auto hints / completion / etc ... completely disable?

Ask how to do things or if a certain feature is available in the program.
inspector71

Auto hints / completion / etc ... completely disable?

Post by inspector71 »

Hi

I cannot type code without it being regularly broken, disrupted, incorrectly overwritten by auto-completion or hints or whatnot (I'm sure there are many names or terms).

Is there any way to entirely disable keyword-based auto-completion? Here is a shot of what appears to be, I think, the most relevant settings, as they appear for me at the moment:

Auto brace closing and other syntax help are not necessarily a bad thing or interfering. So they are on.

However `Auto complete words` and all `Hints` are off. Yet I still get routinely interrupted and end up wasting more keystrokes than saving. For example, typing the following in a CSS file:

Code: Select all

top:-1px;
... becomes:

top:auto-1px;
This is most definitely not the only example.

FWIW RJTE is otherwise running fairly smoothly (exception being the brace matching issue). Especially in terms of the longer-term issues I was having with sFTP. That is behaving much more predictably and functionally ATM. I do not want to be a continual complainant. I can live with brace matching whilst not doing a lot of jQuery in particular. But being unable to simply type code without the app interfering, rather than helping, is not good.

Any thoughts please?
pjj

Re: Auto hints / completion / etc ... completely disable?

Post by pjj »

inspector71 wrote: 09 Dec 2021 07:56 For example, typing the following in a CSS file:

... becomes:

Any thoughts please?
How does it happen? I mean, do you type a semicolon after the CSS declaration and then it suddenly changes to the second version? Or do you press another key/key combination? Perhaps you could record a little screencast?

I have never seen anything like this. I would suspect other program running in the background. Can you exclude this? Then, does it occur on the fresh new RJ TE installation? For different languages/highlighters? Do you use CSS language server?
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
inspector71

Post by inspector71 »

pjj wrote: 09 Dec 2021 10:21
inspector71 wrote: 09 Dec 2021 07:56 For example, typing the following in a CSS file:

... becomes:

Any thoughts please?
How does it happen?
Very good question. Something tricky to relate or even video! Will give it a little more attention so I can detail that more.

There's definitely an auto-complete context menu often involved and maybe the key combination to dismiss that menu without selecting the current / default item is unknown to me or very different to what I would naturally expect. However, even hitting Enter when I actually do want to choose the replacement from the menu (rare) is also a little problematic in that, though I will need to verify this again ... but IIRC ... a different bug sometimes kicks in. That being, the menu disappears, but a focus-stealing box remains where the selected menu item previously was!

What funky screencasts I may be able to demo :)
pjj wrote: 09 Dec 2021 10:21 I mean, do you type a semicolon after the CSS declaration and then it suddenly changes to the second version? Or do you press another key/key combination? Perhaps you could record a little screencast?
Would like to, but it would need subtitles demonstrating the keypresses or something :) The other option being to write down the actions, as a narrative, I suppose. My first screenplay! ??
pjj wrote: 09 Dec 2021 10:21 I have never seen anything like this. I would suspect other program running in the background. Can you exclude this? Then, does it occur on the fresh new RJ TE installation? For different languages/highlighters? Do you use CSS language server?
Was running a text replacement app but just uninstalled that and I was able to detect when that kicked in. For example, I had quite some trouble trying to use "hdr" in a class name as the program, aText, kept extrapolating it to "header"!

Haha. Will double-check there are no remnants of aText left around but removed it with Revo Uninstaller and rebooted once or more since so hopefully that's not a factor.

Other than that, nothing else involved. Just simple 'hand written' CSS. No SASS or anything like that.
pjj

Post by pjj »

inspector71 wrote: 09 Dec 2021 12:57 Would like to, but it would need subtitles demonstrating the keypresses or something :)
May I recommend a program for that? It's called Captura (sadly it has been discontinued) and it has ability to record keystrokes:
ezgif.com-optimize.gif
ezgif.com-optimize.gif (302.41 KiB) Viewed 4452 times
Original file (I saved it as a gif) had almost 8 MB, but I have optimized it to only 300kB.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson »

To completely disable auto completion set the delay in options to -1 (not the most intuitive option in there...). Ctrl+Space still works if want completion help.
inspector71

Post by inspector71 »

Rickard Johansson wrote: 09 Dec 2021 19:56 To completely disable auto completion set the delay in options to -1 (not the most intuitive option in there...). Ctrl+Space still works if want completion help.
Woohooo! Thanks Rickard :)
inspector71

Post by inspector71 »

pjj wrote: 09 Dec 2021 18:38
inspector71 wrote: 09 Dec 2021 12:57 Would like to, but it would need subtitles demonstrating the keypresses or something :)
May I recommend a program for that? It's called Captura (sadly it has been discontinued) and it has ability to record keystrokes:
ezgif.com-optimize.gif
Original file (I saved it as a gif) had almost 8 MB, but I have optimized it to only 300kB.
Hmm, discontinued software is a bit of a tricky one. Will take a look nonetheless, thanks! Have always struggled to find a good screen capturing / annotating / video tool. Use ShareX which is good but somewhat overloaded with choices. That's usually good for me but not when it is all a bit too flooded into the UX. Good, simple "Advanced" settings section is best place for the bulk of settings :)

Is this image a confirmation of the auto completion post-dismissal focus box (bug?) I mentioned? That's probably similar, if not spot on to what I was trying to refer to.
pjj

Post by pjj »

inspector71 wrote: 10 Dec 2021 03:03 Is this image a confirmation of the auto completion post-dismissal focus box (bug?) I mentioned? That's probably similar, if not spot on to what I was trying to refer to.
My intention was simply to demonstrate that Captura can record and show pressed key combinations on screen (so there's no need for separate subtitles ;)).