FIXED: FYI: hang while trying to print (not repeatable)

Report issues, odd behaviors or submit a detailed bug report.
DerellLicht1

FIXED: FYI: hang while trying to print (not repeatable)

Post by DerellLicht1 »

Hi Chief;
This issue occurred twice this morning, but after I printed the file with notepad, then came back here, RJTE is now working fine.
So I'm passing this along for historical reporting, in case it is of use to you - or if someone else reports it...

RJTE version 15.61, 64-bit

I was trying to print a 2-line text file this morning, when I selected Print from the menu bar, I would get the Print Setup dialog, press Print button, then I would get another dialog that said something like "preparing to print", with an Abort button, but the program would just hang on that dialog forever, with a busy cursor (I waited a couple of minutes). After I clicked Abort, the entire program would grey out and continue to sit there hung. I ended up having to abort the program from Task Manager. I tried this twice, with same effect. I did *not* get the RJTE exception dialog, at any time.

I then tried using the debug version that you link to in this forum, but I could not run it, because a couple of DLL files were missing (rtl250.dll and jcl250.dll).

So I opened the text file in Windows Notepad and printed from there, with no problems.

But *then*, when I went back to RJTE, it now prints just fine...
I don't know what to make of this, but am reporting it to you anyway, for historical reference.
Last edited by DerellLicht1 on 28 Sep 2022 08:14, edited 1 time in total.
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: FYI: hang while trying to print (not repeatable)

Post by Rickard Johansson »

Made some changes in next version (v15.62). Added more validations and abort should work now (I hope).
DerellLicht1

Re: FYI: hang while trying to print (not repeatable)

Post by DerellLicht1 »

Rickard Johansson wrote: 08 Sep 2022 17:58 Made some changes in next version (v15.62). Added more validations and abort should work now (I hope).
Thank you so much!!
Now I just need to get that issue to reproduce!!
DerellLicht1

Re: FIXED: FYI: hang while trying to print (not repeatable)

Post by DerellLicht1 »

Later note:
I've tested this across several reboots, and I no longer get a crash in RJTE on reboot... instead, when I reload after the reboot, I get a dialog saying the program terminated improperly, and asking if I want to restore my previous configuration. When I say "yes", it appears to restore everything properly. So that is very good!!

I haven't yet tested under the tougher condition; for awhile, I was getting hard crashes in certain games, where I had to power-cycle the machine... that's a *much* tougher condition to deal with, because RJTE likely doesn't even get a TERM signal before the reboot. However, since I've finished both of those games, and am not otherwise getting these crashes, I'm quite happy not to worry about testing that!!

So anyway, yes, consider this bug fixed.