Tab sort in main view

Ask how to do things or if a certain feature is available in the program.
RyFeR

Tab sort in main view

Post by RyFeR »

Hi,

I've found the option to sort the tab drop-down list but could not find the option to sort the tabs in the main view...

Does such an option exist and if so where can I find it? If it does not exist could it be implemented?

Thanks in advance,
RyFeR
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: Tab sort in main view

Post by Rickard Johansson »

Do you mean a function to sort the tabs, or some kind of auto placement of new tabs in alphabetic order?
RyFeR

Post by RyFeR »

Manually sorting seems possible (I can re-arrange the tabs by dragging them with the mouse).

I'm looking for an alphabetical sort of the tabs in the main view when RJ TextEd is opening a number of files (example: when opening 10 .srt subtitle files I would like the tabs to be in alphabetical order, currently they are in random order).
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

I've changed the behavior in next release (15.63).

* Opened files are always sorted, but added at the end of the tab row.
* Added a menu item to the tab row context menu to sort all tabs.
RyFeR

Post by RyFeR »

Wow, that's fast!

Many thanks for adding this, will check as soon as 15.63 is released.
RyFeR

Post by RyFeR »

Hi Rickard,

Updated to version 15.63. I do now see the sort option in the tab context menu and clicking on "Sort" sorts the tabs alphabetically but I still have unsorted tabs at startup.

What i do:
- 10 .srt files in a folder
- Select them all (with click on first, then shift-click on last or press ctrl-A)
- Right-click on any of them and click on RJ TextEd or "Open" in the context menu

When RJ TextEd opens the tabs are still unsorted (right-click somewhere in the tab area and click "Sort" does work).

Is there a setting I need to change or should the tabs be sorted by default?
RyFeR

Post by RyFeR »

Hi Rickard,

Did you had a chance to look at this?
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Windows may start several instances of the program and forward the selected files to them. The "other" instances will forward the files to the first running instance, but sorting is not done. They are considered "new" files and added (sorted) to the end of the tabs.

I made some changes in v15.66 that should help a little. But all files are still not sorted, when using the context menu.

Maybe you should consider creating workspaces (sessions). Start the program and select a session to open your files (sorted).
RyFeR

Post by RyFeR »

Hi Rickard,

I'll check 15.66 when it's released. Thanks for all the hard work you put into this!
RyFeR

Post by RyFeR »

Hi Rickard,

Tested 15.66. Tabs are now mostly sorted at startup now, if I want a full sort I'll use the "right-click - sort" in the tab area.

Many thanks for all the support!