Mpad/RJTe Suggestion: Title Bar - please don't ever remove it.

Discuss any editing or program related subjects.
yereverluvinuncleber

Mpad/RJTe Suggestion: Title Bar - please don't ever remove it.

Post by yereverluvinuncleber »

I have been using github desktop, chrome and visual studio code as well as datagrip. All reasonable tools at times but the new style that seems to have arrived in windows 11 makes navigating the o/s rather more difficult than it used to be. One of the things that really annoys me is the absence of title bars.

I am finding it increasingly hard to find an area in an app that is only partially on screen, in order to grab an app to move it elsewhere using the mouse. Chrome and github are really painful in this respect. VS code takes up the middle of the titlebar and you cannot just click and drag as you used to. None offer the option of putting the titlebar back.

With the titlebar gone the old 16x16 icon indicating the window identity has disappeared too and with it my ability to dblClick and close a window from the left hand side has also been removed, a really useful feature when your windows are partially off-screen. Most people don't know you can dblClick that icon to close a window but I've been using that for decades now.

I'd be mortified if mpad and RJTextEd went the same way as the above apps. Regardless of current design philosophy please don't follow those stupid designers...

Don't get me started on the disappearing and pathetically thin scrollbars and the overly padded right click menus that seem to abound in modern windows apps now. Anyway, that's my rant for the day.
Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on 10 Feb 2023 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
"Noli pati a scelestis opprimi"... or is it "non lacessit illegitimae te carborundum"?

You can find me on Deviantart https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/gallery/
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: Title Bar - please don't ever remove it.

Post by Rickard Johansson »

Most people don't know you can dblClick that icon to close a window but I've been using that for decades now.
Wow, I just learned something new. I had no idea :shock: And you're right, that doesn't work with e.g. the new Windows Explorer etc.
yereverluvinuncleber

Re: Title Bar - please don't ever remove it.

Post by yereverluvinuncleber »

It is useful and once you get used to it, it becomes second nature to click there, especially when the x button top right changes shape and size according to the flavour of Windows you are running. It is also a convenient close method when the right hand of the window is off screen.

It is very difficult when you are developing for various Windows platforms, testing on XP, 7, 10 and 11 and the UI changes. I don't mind UI changes as long as they are improvements and they are optional. If they are genuine improvements then I will adapt and adopt. If they are changes for the sake of seeming new then I will avoid.

If I can't avoid then I find an alternative. With that in mind I have a few recommendations. To replace Explorer I use CubicExplorer and Q-Dir. Both have a title bar and the 16x16 icon to identify/close.

They are both superior to Explorer in their way.

I am also using OpenShell to obtain the classic Start Menu and RetroBar for the old classic taskbar that you can move to the top instantly on Win 11. I now have the same UI on Win XP - Win11.

So nice...
"Noli pati a scelestis opprimi"... or is it "non lacessit illegitimae te carborundum"?

You can find me on Deviantart https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/gallery/