Resolved: How to turn off library hints??

Ask how to do things or if a certain feature is available in the program.
DerellLicht1

Resolved: How to turn off library hints??

Post by DerellLicht1 »

I'm pretty sure that I've seen this setting before, but now that I need it, I can't find it!!
I disabled 'parameter hints', but that's apparently not the correct option.

So whenever I'm typing code (in C++), I keep getting this popup dialog which is suggesting arguments to insert, but they really are not useful at all.
See the attached image; that is a typical example. How do I turn off this dialog??

This especially causes me headaches when it causes me to insert text in the wrong place, as shown in code snippet below...
Note that I actually typed %5.3f\n , but after I typed .3f, it moved my cursor back, and \n ended up in the wrong place...
That is very annoying, considering that I usually touch-type, and am not constantly looking at the screen!!

Code: Select all

printf("intermediate sum parameter: %5.\n3f", sum);
bad_hints.jpg
bad_hints.jpg (48.22 KiB) Viewed 1397 times
Last edited by DerellLicht1 on 13 Feb 2023 17:26, edited 1 time in total.
pjj

Re: How to turn off library hints??

Post by pjj »

I think this answer will help you out :wink: (Yes, not very intuitive; I guess adding explicit hint in the Options, e.g. setting to -1 will switch it off, could be very helpful.)
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
DerellLicht1

Post by DerellLicht1 »

pjj wrote: 04 Feb 2023 19:00 I think this answer will help you out :wink: (Yes, not very intuitive; I guess adding explicit hint in the Options, e.g. setting to -1 will switch it off, could be very helpful.)
Whoa!!!! ummm...
I would say that "not the most intuitive option in there" is an understatement for all time!!!
The *last* place I would have looked, to do what I wanted, was the delay time...
"One understatement to rule them all... "

I don't know if @rickard has implemented tooltips in the options menu, but it would *definitely* be useful there!!! Wow...

Anyway, that indeed solved the problem!! Thank ye again, @pjj !!
pjj

Post by pjj »

DerellLicht1 wrote: 04 Feb 2023 20:09 Whoa!!!! ummm...
I would say that "not the most intuitive option in there" is an understatement for all time!!!
DerellLicht1 wrote: 04 Feb 2023 20:09 I don't know if @rickard has implemented tooltips in the options menu, but it would *definitely* be useful there!!! Wow...
Well, there are tooltips here and there, but only if you click on [?] button in the bottom left corner and then on the checkbox caption. It would be indeed very helpful to be able to see them simply on hover.
DerellLicht1 wrote: 04 Feb 2023 20:09 Anyway, that indeed solved the problem!! Thank ye again, @pjj !!
You are very welcome!
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus