DONE: Allow only ONE single instance of a project to be open at one time

Make a request or discuss new features.
yereverluvinuncleber

DONE: Allow only ONE single instance of a project to be open at one time

Post by yereverluvinuncleber »

RJTe has the option to only open one instance of the program but this does not take into account Projects.

We may want to have several projects open simultaneously and this implies multiple instance of RJTe but we might want to avoid allowing the same project to be open more than once. Making changes to the same file in duplicated projects can cause confusion, better to have an option to not let it occur or - prevent it altogether. I cannot think of a reason why you would want to open the same project more than once. It seems so wrong.

Other IDEs prevent this. For example, opening a second instance of a Visual Basic Project file (vbp) is prevented by the IDE. I think it would be a good idea for RJTe to do the same or at least to have the option.
Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on 14 Jun 2024 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
"Noli pati a scelestis opprimi"... or is it "non lacessit illegitimae te carborundum"?

You can find me on Deviantart https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/gallery/
yereverluvinuncleber

Re: RJTe Request: Allow a single instance of a project to be open at one time

I think this is a desirable feature.

When opening a project consisting of multiple files, in my experience, the last thing you would want to do is to accidentally open another copy of the whole project. Kicking off changes in one instance of the project whilst still having unresolved remaining commits in another instance of the project is a route to disaster.

Personally, I would prefer to have RJTe prevent me from doing so simply saying "This project is already open" and then give me the option to close.

However, the alternative, a simple warning, telling you that the project is already open would suffice. Then you can open another instance of the whole project and the problem is your own! :-D
"Noli pati a scelestis opprimi"... or is it "non lacessit illegitimae te carborundum"?

You can find me on Deviantart https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/gallery/
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: RJTe Request: Allow only ONE single instance of a project to be open at one time

Post by Rickard Johansson »

I added a warning if you try to open an already opened project, in the next release. Thanks!
yereverluvinuncleber

Re: DONE: Allow only ONE single instance of a project to be open at one time

Really good, I think it could save a lot of hassle. The number of times I have tried to open a project in VB6, ready to hack, only to be told "it is open already". Done the same with RJTextEd a few times and not realised it until the damage was done (only minor).

I have approx. 90x.js projects, all of which are opened by default as RJTextEd projects. I have a very easy workflow which allows me to open any of my projects from a quick right-click on the running desktop program.
As a result it is very easy to make such a open duplicate project mistake with such a workflow.

Thanks for the change!