FIXED: Version 15.94(64bit) crashes on projects file.

Report issues, odd behaviors or submit a detailed bug report.
uwix

FIXED: Version 15.94(64bit) crashes on projects file.

Post by uwix »

After updating to version 15.94(64bit) I added some New folders and files to the projects overview. That works fine but when I reopen RJTextEd an error occurs with the request to send the crash report in de Neos Euroka folder (attached).

Next I can start RJ TextEd again and it shows all project folders. But all the file links are gone?! I had this trouble before so I create backups of the .rjpcfg, .rjproj and .XML files.
Why does RJ TextEd remove alle the files upon an crash? That's very frustrating.

Well, just restored a backup with a working .rjproj set and added one folder with 2 subfolders and 4 files again. Restarting RJ TextEd results in the same crash.

Hope you can fix it.

Thanks and greetz,
Nikolai

p.s. also added the debugout.txt file if needed.
Attachments
DebugOutput.7z
DebugOutput.txt create when crashed after starting RJTextEd
(1.17 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
TextEd_Internal_Crash.7z
Neos Eureka crash report after adding folders/files to the a project.
(1.88 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: Version 15.94(64bit) crashes on projects file.

Post by Rickard Johansson »

Should be fixed in the next release (v15.95). Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------
Version 15.95 (Sep 15, 2023)
-----------------------------------------------------------

Projects
Projects are no longer scanned for missing files when opened. It can slow things down and cause issues when you open a project from the commandline...

I may add a new function in a later version to manually scan your project for missing files and give the user options to handle the result.

uwix

Re: FIXED: Version 15.94(64bit) crashes on projects file.

Post by uwix »

Thank you for the quick reply. Good to read you are able to fix the issue in the next release :wink:

Would be also great if the check for files gives the user an option. Now it get's deleted for all the projects and that's no fun :roll:
uwix

Post by uwix »

Well, used the new version 15.95 this evening and closed it accidently. All went well but after opening the editor it automaticly loads the latest projects overview.
Sadly enough all the files are gone again; this time the editor did not stop or start with an error :o

Hope you can check the fixes made in this version - because it does seem to delete the file entries in projects by default ...
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

I can't reproduce this. And since no one else have reported this issue, it's probably something on your end that is causing this. It could be a combination of options you're using, save location (local disk, network, mapped drive...) or something else on your system.

Maybe you could send me your settings file (TextEd.ini) with a small example project?
uwix

Post by uwix »

Thanks for the reply.

I've just started RJTextEd v15.95 and create a whole new project file which is stored on my local D: drive. Created some folders and subfolders and added some files by drag-n-drop and "Add active document".
After that I closed RJTextEd and check the XML file for the projects. All the folders are stored - but none of the filepaths are found in the XML file.

Attached a screenshot how the files/folders are set in RJTextEd and the resulting XML project file. Also added is the texted.ini files from my appdata folder.
Your help is appriciated.

Greetz, Nikolai.

p.s. when adding a file using the "Add active document" or drag-n-drop it does not get saved with the file="" in the XML file. When adding the path manually to the XML file and starting RJTextEd it appears in the projects list. After closing RJTexted immediatly and starting it once more the file path isn't stored anymore in the file="" value in the XML.
Attachments
TextEd.7z
texted.ini file
(11.5 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
saved project files.7z
project files created after adding folders and files (but files are missing)
(952 Bytes) Downloaded 49 times
This is the test build for these project files.
This is the test build for these project files.
files added to new project.png (9.66 KiB) Viewed 1485 times
pjj

Post by pjj »

I just had a problem with creating new project; error report has been sent -- btw. this is reproducible (3 out of 3 attempts).

When after such unsuccessful attempt to create new project I try to open existing one, I get this message: Default directory for this project hasn't been set! Go to menu Project > Configuration > Options to set it. However project is being open without any hassle, and both directories are there as previously set.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

pjj wrote: 17 Sep 2023 09:38 I just had a problem with creating new project; error report has been sent -- btw. this is reproducible (3 out of 3 attempts).
This was fixed in v15.95. Please update 8)
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Still no luck reproducing this. I tried using the settings file and adding some files to the sample project. After program shutdown - it opens the project and files when restarting the program.
pjj

Post by pjj »

Rickard Johansson wrote: 17 Sep 2023 12:34 This was fixed in v15.95. Please update 8)
:oops:
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
uwix

Post by uwix »

Rickard Johansson wrote: 17 Sep 2023 12:46 Still no luck reproducing this. I tried using the settings file and adding some files to the sample project. After program shutdown - it opens the project and files when restarting the program.
Well, than I must be missing something or something has "broken down" on my end. On the other hand I noticed the following on my new laptop:
I installed RJTextEd for the first time - no appdata present yet - and opend created a new project. Than I dragged-n-dropped a txt file to a folder in the project but it get's added at the root of the project in a full folder tree and not in the selected project folder. Also using "Add active document" resulted in the same build up.

I'm going experiment some more with the project files and opening of them with the new RJTextEd version and starting all over with zero saved settings. I'll let ya know what the results are.

Thanks for the support so far!
uwix

Post by uwix »

Well, almost pulled all my hair out :wink:

Fully uninstalled RJ TextEd (including appdata, registry keys, folders, etc) and started reinstalling again. Basicly creating a new project works fine and also adding files do work.
Closed RJ TextEd and started again - opened the project file and the list is fully loaded.

I was very happy and started setting the editor options to my likings (and no I did not place used any backup files from the "old" appdata folder :) ). Restarted RJ TextEd - just to test - and darn.... the filelist was gone again from the project overview.
Tested tot the max and reinstalled RJ TextEd for the 12th time and tested opening the Project file after every little change. Seems like the "Reopen last documents at startup" option starts causing trouble opening and working with project files.

What I did:
* Resinstalled RJ TextEd
* Disabled some Basic view settings so only the editor opens at startup
* Pinned the Projects Manager
* Created a new project as D:\Test\project-tryout(.rjproj)
* Opened some CSS and PHP files
* Added them using the "Add active document"
* Closed RJ TextEd
* Started RJ TextEd and manually opened the project using the Project Manager.
* The full project including files is listed.

* Now I set the "Reopen last documents at startup" in Environment => Options => File section.
* Pressed Apply than OK
* Added two more CSS and PHP files to the project
* Closed RJ TextEd
* Started RJ TextEd and the last added project files are missing (after setting "reopen...") ???

The first added files in the steps when the "Reopen last..." setting wasn't set at first startup (after new installation) are still present in the projects overview.
After disabling the option "reopen last..." the problem still persists - project files added to a new or existing project do not get stored in the XML file :-(

First I thought it was indeed a configuration problem in my AppData but I can fix the issue only the first time after installing and starting RJ TextEd with a blanc configuration "out-of-the-box". What else can I do?
uwix

Post by uwix »

Just one more 'discovery' I've just made:

It seems the storage of newly added files to the project only stores the filename. The file path is not included. The first file I added has a ..\..\..\.. path added (after fresh install with "reopen..." option turned on).
After that files added to the project XML file are only added without pathname. So when the project file get's loaded in the editor the file isn't detected and deleted in the XML file?

Check the contents of the "my projects.xml" I've created and just added the file E:\livesite\template\css\custom.css:
<tree2xml app="TextEd.exe"><item text="My Projects.rjproj" file="" server="" selIndex="83" imageIndex="83"><item text="MyProjects" file="" server="" selIndex="85" imageIndex="85"><item text="Modules" file="" server="" selIndex="85" imageIndex="85"><item text="SJLogin" file="" server="" selIndex="85" imageIndex="85"/></item><item text="Templates" file="" server="" selIndex="85" imageIndex="85"><item text="acm" file="" server="" selIndex="85" imageIndex="85"><item text="TextEd.ini" file="..\..\..\..\Backup\New\TextEd.ini" server="" selIndex="109" imageIndex="109"/></item><item text="Helix" file="" server="" selIndex="85" imageIndex="85"/><item text="custom.css" file="" server="" selIndex="109" imageIndex="109"/></item></item></item></tree2xml>
The file custom.css is only added as <item text="custom.css"...> without any path. When adding the path manually to the "file" attribute in the XML file all keeps working fine after closing and reopening RJ TextEd.
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

I've fixed it in the next release (v15.96). Thanks!

(Currently, the project manager doesn't work properly if you add files from different drives. E.g. have the project saved on the C:\ drive while adding files from D:\ or E:\ drives.)
uwix

Post by uwix »

Great Rickard! Thank you, can't wait to download the next release. Using the projectfiles a lot :lol: